CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

How pure must a corn be to be truely pure?

Old 05-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #61
beautifullywild77
I agree with BB.

She puts it in words beautifully!!!

Old 05-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #62
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikisquid View Post

Are intergrades considered "hybrids" in the pure/hybrid debate then?
Debatable? LOL!

It's all crazy genetic labels given by humans anyway.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #63
ChannyB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifullywild77 View Post
Wow, some people resort to kindergarten tactics when their argument has no beef.
More like I am at work and anything other than quick replies do not fit into my schedule.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #64
hikisquid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
Debatable? LOL!

It's all crazy genetic labels given by humans anyway.
Haha I see. It depends on how picky they feel like being that day?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #65
gelshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
likely as a lottery win
You have to play to win.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #66
HerpsOfNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikisquid View Post
Ooh, I learned something new!
I remember being on a camping trip as a teen and seeing a black ratsnake in the water, and then when hiking the next day I found a pretty cornsnake guarding a nest, always wondered if the rat was the daddy. XD

Are intergrades considered "hybrids" in the pure/hybrid debate then?
A quote answered with a quote from page #1, post #5....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpsOfNM View Post
Hybrid, in the terms of biological speciation, is roughly defined as 2 distinct species interbreeding.

This can be further defined as intra- and interspecific hybridization. Intraspecific deals with crosses between subspecies, with the field herping community calling these crosses intergrades. Interspecific details crosses within the same genus, but between different species, e.g., ultras and sunkissed animals.

Then there is intergeneric where hybridization occurs between 2 different species from a different genus, e.g., jungle corns.

Additional fun terms found within any college evolution class, within the portion ofclass that covers genetics and speciation:

Species (can be rather tough to define)
Allopatric speciation
Sympatric speciation
Niche
Reproductive barrier(s)

Your questions are, in my opinion, on par with a semester long lecture/discussion/argument of a course called evolution. Your suggestion of re-terming/defining hybrid, would big picture encompass what "scientists" do at the taxonomic level of sinking, elevating, lumping, or clumping various species and/or subspecies. Like the sinking of the intermontane ratsnake (Pantherophis emoryi intermontana), which IIRC is genetically isolated and the elevation of great plains ratsnake out of guttata and to full species status.

As commenters have sniped...this thread could go round and round and round. I'll need some reese's pieces, twizlers, and a large Mr.Pibb for my popcorn.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #67
hikisquid
Oh, thanks for that! I honestly didn't reread this thread when I went to post, so I totally forgot that it had been answered before.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #68
HerpsOfNM
no worries...thought I'd just bring it to the current "front"

Old 05-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #69
chris68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannyB View Post
How about you show me evidence that it does not?
That's like asking me to prove Aliens don't exist. That's easy. Ever seen one?

I've herped over area's in MD that have rat snakes and eastern Kings. Never seen a Rat/King cross. Seen lots of rats and kings tho. Been around lots of bodies of water where eastern garters and northern water snakes lived side by side. Never saw anything but eastern garters and northern waters. Not going to say under some extremely unusual circumstance it doesn't happen in the wild, but in the "pet community" there's nothing "natural" in anything that has to do with with creating crosses, or even keeping a w/c snake. We "create", whether it be a "habitat a snake can live in and thrive or a sinacalihondocorn hybrid

And I don't what ANY of this has to do with religion

Old 05-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #70
crotalis40741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannyB View Post
Pretty sure you have to be a disgusting bastard for that to NOT hit a nerve.

How could you even begin to compare the two?

This will NOT be tolerated here! I suggest all involved step back and breathe and then let things calm down.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google