• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

36" Deep Melamine Rack - Edge Banding?

Ripsaw642

Is edge banding necessary? It is missing from 1 side, and the back of my melamine panels (bought 15 3/4 x 96" panels, cut 2 factory ends to 36"). The Uprights for the rack are 1 x 4, back is plywood. I may fill in the gaps with pegboard later as well. The side with the exposed edge will be against a wall, so aesthetics aren't important. It's a 2 hour return trip on the bus to get edge banding, and i want to put this together tomorrow. So the question is, aesthetics aside, do i need that edge banding on that side? Will it fall apart from humidity? Inside 5 years? I could seal the edges with acrylic or silicone caulking, or primer/sealer. Ideas? Experience? Thankyou in advance..:confused: :D

It is not necessary to put edge banding on the exposed edges.
The only time I've had an issue is when we spilled water on the rack while tending the gecko Vivs on top and not realizing it. The water did swell the particle wood. humidity will not swell it on its own.
The rack should last decades.
:)

Thanks for the reply, i went ahead after i saw that, here she is so far:

Attachments

• rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 65
  • rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 65
Looks like a cool rack you have there! I'd say that whatever you are going to use to paint or seal the lumber should be fine. You will want something on the bare wood and melamine ends. Even a primer coat will help. The humidity requirements of corns are below what will rot wood just from the air. A tropical / rainforest setting would hurt the wood substances.
Now, if you find the rack in an especially humid setting, then you'll need additional precautions for the wood.

Back