CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

BUF gene

Old 02-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #31
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike17l View Post
Peer Reviewed? Statistical Confirmation? Scientific Circles? ... Rule out caramel. Has not been done.
Caramel and caramel-based morphs are a particular interest of mine. As a result of that interest - not to mention my interest in genetics - I read and re-read all the "buf" threads laboriously. And it WAS laborious.

I'd love to agree with the.....I have to call it a statement, because it is NOT a conclusion that buf was ever proven to separate and distinct from caramel. My scientific training and my common sense both say I can't agree. No evidence has been presented to support this, and it would be easy to prove or disprove this point.

If my students were try to argue the validity of a point that could be so easily proven or disproven, and they did not perform that easy test, they would fail the assignment. Period.

I haven't yet seen the 2010 Morph Guide or a direct quote from it about buf. I'll thus remain mute on that topic except to say that if buf is referred to as "proven," I hope there's more evidence for it than I've seen in the threads I've read. The evidence as presented does not rule out caramel. That would have been an much easier cross to do than some that were actually performed.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #32
kathylove
I just got my new Morph Guide...

Concerning Buf, it says..."It has been test bred with the caramel gene and does not act like an allele..." It doesn't have details as to when or who did the testing - you would have to ask Chuck about that.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #33
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathylove View Post
Concerning Buf, it says..."It has been test bred with the caramel gene and does not act like an allele..." It doesn't have details as to when or who did the testing - you would have to ask Chuck about that.
Hmm... Thanks for the quote, Kathy. I for one would indeed like more specific information.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #34
kathylove
I just sent an email to Chuck...

asking if he remembers who did the testing, when, and if it was confirmed by anyone else. I am not sure how soon I will get a response as he is probably busy sending out the new Guides now. But I will let you know when, and if, he responds.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #35
mike17l
Quote:
you would have to ask Chuck about that.
Ill bite.

Hey Chuck, care to post anymore information? Inquiring minds want to know.

Anybody want to take bets on if he will answer?

Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #36
Caryl
Quote:
asking if he remembers who did the testing, when, and if it was confirmed by anyone else. I am not sure how soon I will get a response as he is probably busy sending out the new Guides now. But I will let you know when, and if, he responds.
Thanks so much, Kathy. I don't know Mr. Pritzel, but I can't imagine anyone ignoring a request for info from you!

Old 02-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #37
Russell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
The ONLY way to check for it being a het caramel trait, is to breed it to a *caramel*. Not a butter. Not a lavender. Not a phantom, but a *caramel*.
Ok, so please tell us what a butter is. Thank you.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #38
Russell
The information is there, if your willing to take a look at it and figure it out for yourselves. The many crosses were done to cofirm, that yes, it is what it is. The links were given in posts above. And yet people still want to sit around and make it a bashing party. Have fun. It's your site.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #39
mike17l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Ok, so please tell us what a butter is. Thank you.
HAHA!! Really, that is your response? It has been breed to a butter. Great job there buddy, we knew that. We are still waiting to have "buf" breed a a caramel het (or homo for that matter) nothing. Has not been done. Remove everything else. An "orange" can still be an amel het for caramel.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #40
mike17l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
The information is there, if your willing to take a look at it and figure it out for yourselves. The many crosses were done to cofirm, that yes, it is what it is. The links were given in posts above. And yet people still want to sit around and make it a bashing party. Have fun. It's your site.
Until the one cross that was asked for ("buf" X caramel het/homo for nothing) is done, "buf" will never be taken seriously by the corn snake community.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
buf