CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Happy Inauguration Day Eve!!

Old 02-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #61
Nova_C
Seems I am not alone:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/thats-how...175623700.html

Old 02-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #62
Rich Z
Yeah, John McCain. Now HE is someone you really should be listening to for your gospel truth...

Old 02-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #63
Rich Z

The "doctor" has spoken....

Old 02-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #64
Nova_C
Awesome.

Some random dude talking into a camera is your rebuttal. A dude that starts off his video with an advertisement for buying gold. Oh man, no, he sounds totally legit.

Whatever it takes to support the narrative you want, you'll latch on to. These guys see you coming a mile away.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #65
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_C View Post
Awesome.

Some random dude talking into a camera is your rebuttal. A dude that starts off his video with an advertisement for buying gold. Oh man, no, he sounds totally legit.

Whatever it takes to support the narrative you want, you'll latch on to. These guys see you coming a mile away.
And your claim is that CNN and MSNBC, along with other such lamestream media sources, are better?

I'll take my world view over yours any day of the week.

BTW, are you still waiting for Hillary to win the presidential election like your *news* sources claimed she would?

So much for your sources of accurate and truthful information, eh?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #66
Dragonling
Not that CNN isn't left-biased, but you've linked videos from friggin Info Wars, which is not even at BuzzFeed's level of quality (even liberals can admit BF is bottom-dwelling garbage the overwhelming majority of the time) and so far right I'm not sure how they sit on chairs. Just want to point that out.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #67
Rich Z
I've only been watching InfoWars recently in relation to this past election, and I have to admit I find Alex Jones and his crew to be pretty interesting. Some may consider it sad for the major media outlets that InfoWars lately is a whole lot more believable than the fake news CNN and ilk are pandering to the public.

But most people already knew that the lamestream media has been owned lock stock and barrel by entities that want to filter the news that we peons get exposed to. Way too much stuff never sees the light of day through those sources. Or at least until the cat has gotten so far out of the bag elsewhere, that they really have no choice but to eventually say something about the ignored issues.

Never really followed InfoWars before, so I don't know what sort of history he may have concerning topics Alex Jones has covered. But I have to say, with what I have seen recently, I'll pick Alex Jones over ANY of the talking heads on the lamestream media lately. The fake news pieces about the "golden showers" and Russia hacking the elections were priceless. And how ANYONE could have swallowed that crap about Trump personally making fun of that disabled guy just boggles my mind. But that is what the media was pushing, and people DID swallow it, evidently.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #68
Dragonling
I guess nothing looks overly biased when it fits your own world view. I generally find myself thinking pretty much the exact opposite before catching myself bobble-heading along to the liberal media without giving the right so much as a chance. I can only relate so much to the conservative perspective, even having been raised in a staunch Republican household.

I tend to occasionally reference these two charts when it comes to finding a balanced source for any given story. I'm highly amused at the label of Tyranny <---> Freedom, but I know how much conservatives love muh freedums so I let it slide lol.

(e) I just realized there is an updated version of the first one with some additions and revision. Neither is by any stretch perfect, but it's somewhat helpful.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #69
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I guess nothing looks overly biased when it fits your own world view. I generally find myself thinking pretty much the exact opposite before catching myself bobble-heading along to the liberal media without giving the right so much as a chance. I can only relate so much to the conservative perspective, even having been raised in a staunch Republican household.

I tend to occasionally reference these two charts when it comes to finding a balanced source for any given story. I'm highly amused at the label of Tyranny <---> Freedom, but I know how much conservatives love muh freedums so I let it slide lol.

(e) I just realized there is an updated version of the first one with some additions and revision. Neither is by any stretch perfect, but it's somewhat helpful.
I am sorry, but those graphics claiming that the lamestream media is not biased is so far from reality that the source really can't be from the planet Earth at all. Just this past presidential election pretty much proved that to anyone with a discerning eye.

Of course, for anyone believing the promoted view of self stated non bias of the fading past major media sources, where do you go for a source that you would believe otherwise? If you only listen to what they say, what would they have you believe?

So when you have rumors of outfits like Google, Facebook, and Twitter making noises about filtering Conservative sites and viewpoints, it certainly does appear that the fix is in to patch the leak of truth being able to actually reach interested viewers. Then talk of the government itself stepping in to "save us" from fake news, which, of course, will be defined by them.

Would it be any surprise that the people in power would realize that controlling the sources of information is critical for them to hold onto that power? Personally, I believe it is much more difficult for the "powers that be" to buy out every single independent source of information than it is to buy controlling interest in a few media conglomerates. Yeah, there are some bonafide whackos out there, but in some cases, what the lamestream media is trying to push is every bit as whacko as the other end of the spectrum.

Sometimes you just have to pick and choose what you CAN believe.

And, btw, freedom really is a GOOD thing, don't you think?

Old 02-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #70
Dragonling
Heh, "lamestream"...we get the joke. You can just say mainstream. But you're right, many that are listed as centrist are actually quite left leaning. Here is the newer, slightly better version I mentioned. Some of these I would nudge even further to one side or the other, and several of the mixed quality (particularly some on the left) I would shove much farther down towards the bottom of the garbage end. The fact that many which remain close to the center are also not independent might say something about them as well.

I'm not a news junkie by any stretch, so I can't say I rely on any particular source for news, and the only TV I watch is through streaming services. I do find it disconcerting when major sites begin censoring content like that, regardless of their reasoning to try and protect the stupid from being more stupid. The stupid are always going to be stupid, and they don't seem to care nearly as much about the stupid on the left.

Anyway, freedom is great when it's not just, "I can do whatever I want!" which unfortunately the aforementioned stupid on the left AND right both seem to believe it actually is. Worse yet, those on the left frequently believe that anyone who spouts off about wanting more freedom is asking for just that. How silly.

My issue was with the use of "tyranny" on that chart. It's a pretty charged word, and it does kiiiiinda show the inherent bias of whoever made the chart (I suspect the other was left-leaning, though they claimed to be unbiased...yeah right). Tyranny may technically be synonymous with totalism in a thesaurus, but it doesn't exactly mean the same thing. No sane left-wing democrat wants a dictator, but they do want a big, powerful government. Those things are a little bit different. Using charged wording just strikes me as dishonest. We're all guilty of it at times.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google