CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My first clutch ever! But I have some questions

Old 05-26-2017, 01:17 AM   #1
canicemok
My first clutch ever! But I have some questions

Two days ago my girl finally laid a huge clutch with 21 good eggs and 2 slugs. I put them into a small box with damp vermiculite inside. The vermiculite can be squeezed into a piece but will not have water drops. The box does not have any hole on it too.

However, today when I check the eggs, I notice three of them having a slight collapse. Other eggs are in pretty good shape tho. Will it indicate that the humidity is not quite enough in the box?

Also, my female went into blue almost immediately and she refuses food now. Is it normal for female to resume feeding after her post lay shed?

Thank you!

Old 05-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #2
LauRuffian
First of all, congratulations! First clutches are just the most amazing thing.

Yes, the denting suggests the eggs likely require a bit more humidity. You can take a damp paper towel (all the excess moisture squeezed out of it) and lay it on top of the eggs, or you can take some damp spaghum moss and lay it over them instead. I have a clutch that has been curiously sensitive to humidity and I've had to keep spaghum on them (and re-moisten it several times) the entire time they've been in the incubator. A day or two of that, and they should plump right back up.

As far as going off food, that varies from girl to girl. One of my girls is ravenous the day she lays, and yet another is greatly offended by food until after her post-lay shed. I try to offer them something small like a hopper the day after they lay then return to normal meal size a few days after that.

Good luck and welcome! What's the pairing?

Old 05-27-2017, 05:14 AM   #3
canicemok
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauRuffian View Post
First of all, congratulations! First clutches are just the most amazing thing.

Yes, the denting suggests the eggs likely require a bit more humidity. You can take a damp paper towel (all the excess moisture squeezed out of it) and lay it on top of the eggs, or you can take some damp spaghum moss and lay it over them instead. I have a clutch that has been curiously sensitive to humidity and I've had to keep spaghum on them (and re-moisten it several times) the entire time they've been in the incubator. A day or two of that, and they should plump right back up.

As far as going off food, that varies from girl to girl. One of my girls is ravenous the day she lays, and yet another is greatly offended by food until after her post-lay shed. I try to offer them something small like a hopper the day after they lay then return to normal meal size a few days after that.

Good luck and welcome! What's the pairing?
Thank you! I put some spaghum moss directly on the eggs and the collpased eggs are plumping right back up now.

The pairs are coral snow bred to a unknown het normal. Hope I can at least get some amel or anery.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Dragonling
Depending on the origins of your coral, you might get some red factor as well.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
Nanci
Great looking eggs! I always cover with orchid moss, wrung out as much as possible. Just a one inch layer. That protects the eggs from any drips from condensation, and when the eggs hatch, you can push it off into the corners, and the babies that are out will go hide in it and not rampage through the still-hatching eggs, scaring them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google