CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

How often are snakes really "hungry" ?

Old 07-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
LadyJemima
How often are snakes really "hungry" ?

Of course snakes are opportunistic eaters...I just fed Tango an adult mouse and after it went down the hatch....search search search around the feeding bin to see if there were any more. This made me wonder if anyone knows how often snakes are truly "hungry." In the wild, after they digest their food and defecate, I assume their brains must trigger them to look for more food. We also know they can go months without eating. When we get to day 10, 11, or 12 of a 14-day feeding schedule, will a snake be especially hungry? Will its behavior change? Will it be "irritable" or less amiable to being handled?

Just curious.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
A corn snake will eat himself into obesity if you offer the food.

In the wild they eat as they come upon food, and depending on the time of year and location, there may be food plentiful or they could go 2 or 3 months between meals.

But in captivity, they depend on us to offer meals on a regular basis.

You can tell when your snake appears to be "Hunting" then he's hungry.

When I feed Rufus, he usually goes into his warm hide for 2 to 3 days. He will then come out to poop. I usually play with him daily at this point. Around day 5 or 6 he's usually cruising about his cage looking around. He's no longer hiding. I view this as a sign that he's looking for food.

But that doesn't mean I have to feed him. I have him on a schedule regardless of how he feels about it. LOL!

I'm currently feeding him on a 14 day schedule as he is over 400 grams now. He can look for food all he wants, but he's just gonna have to wait.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
LadyJemima
Thank you. Will follow this advice. Does Rufus get grouchy when he's hungry?

Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Rufus grouchy???? LOL no! He doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

Shhhhhh.... he thinks he's a puppy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google