CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

UTH for glass display cases.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Darken
UTH for glass display cases.

Hey people~

I just recently aquired a corner display case (roughly seventy gallons) it is a glass display, I want to convert it to a new viv for Jango & Boba, however the bottom has a 1/4" plywood floor, my question is- how efficent are the UTHs when it comes to heating a wooden floor?- My thought was that I may have to go with a larger size then what is normally needed?! Perhaps maybe drilling a ton of small holes where I plan on placing the UTHs.

I know you guys can help me figure this out.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Darken
No one has any ideas? This will be a first.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
Lennycorn
I can't believe it on has a 1/4" floor usually a floor is 3/4" thick.
A 1/4" floor is weak for support of items like a water bowel, hides ans such, I would think it would start to bow down but... I'm not looking at it in person. So I could very well be wrong.
Most UTH are used for glass bottom cages that low heat won't be a problem and they can stick on too. so not being able to understand the floor construction complete I'm leery to give an answer but if you use holes on the floor wouldn't some poop go through them??? So... if you added another 3/4" floor and installed a UTH on top but covered it with Plexiglas that could work. but again I'm shooting from the hip here. Also with a 70 gal, you would still go with the 1/3 floor coverage theory unless you paln to split it in half for your two snakes.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
Stregone
Plexi gets brittle at high temps, so be careful.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Darken
I think you are right about the thickness of the floor, I have not actually laid my hands on it yet, I'm going from the description that the person is giving me also I have only seen pictures. I use a mat style substrate so I was thinking that if I put small holes in the floor that it may not be a problem, again I think you are on to something not only poo but - really anything could plug the holes.

Its not possible to make a glass bottom (because of its shape) unless I completely disassembled it (thats a possibility). So lets "assume" that the floor is thicker would the wood be to dense. It sounds like I need to rethink this.

Any more ideas / experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Wis_fishing_guy
Why not drill holes but just not all the way threw.If it is 3/4'' drill holes from the bottom at about at 1/2'' threw.The heat will get penetrate no problem then!!!No more worries about about stuff falling threw the holes.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Darken
That could work, I'm still chewing on the idea of pulling the top off and somehow placing a false bottom on top of the floor then I could use thinner wood and use support blocks through out underneath between the true floor and the upper floor.

I still would like to hear your ideas, thank everyone.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
Sanebedlam
I recomend looking into cutting out a section of the wood floor large enough for a uth then attach a piece of glass/plexglass ontop of it that the uth is mounted to. Does that make sense?

Old 10-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
Darken
That makes complete sense, the problem is that I have very limited space to work in, this a corner glass display case the only opening is in the rear and it is 12" wide x 18" tall then there is a smaller opening under that for storage. It has a brass border around all the connecting glass pieces I might be able to carefully remove the top piece of glass, then I would have room to make all sorts of mods.

Honestly I was hoping that the heaters would penetrate the wooden floor so that I wouldn't have to do much to make it functional. Has anyone tried using an electric heating pad as a heat source? I could hook one up to a rheostat.

The Viv they have now is a 10 gallon tank and I have the recommended UTH size for the tank trying to heat it and with it on 24/7 the warmest it gets is 85 and thats during the day at night it will drop to 70 and this is the warm side of the Viv, the snakes seem to do fine I have no problems with their eating or shedding, my thought is that if they can barely heat through the glass they will never be able to heat through the wood!! Then again it may also be defective.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
Sanebedlam
Can't you flip the thing over and cut from the bottom?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google