CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Other Animals and Related Items Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Other Animals and Related Items Wanted Any other types of animals, plus caging, feeders, etc, WANTED can be posted within this area.

Something similar to Eastern indigo?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
BSLMichael
Something similar to Eastern indigo?

Hello,

I have recently fallen in love with eastern indigos after meeting one in person at a reptile expo. Unfortunately i dont have 8000+ Dollars to spend on permits xD.

So, I was wondering if there are other large snakes that shared some of the traits the eastern indigos generally have disposition wise. one of the things i noticed most is how responsive to its surroundings it was and how willing it was to check out what was going on.

Any large gentle curious responsive Colubrids out there other than Indigo?

Something alil more attainable?

Old 10-19-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
MysticExotics
Mexican Black Kingsnakes, or Black Milksnakes, are the closest I can think of. As far as I know, both Indigos cost a pretty penny, and oen or both require permits to own.

There is a larger line of MBK's, that Casey Lazik used to work with, and he has since picked up a pair of babies from that line. I will be getting a pair from that line in a few years when he has babies from them.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #3
ratsncorns
I was also going to suggest Black Milksnakes. They can get a decent size and are almost all black as adults.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
BSLMichael
Thanks for the suggestions! Also the 8k is alil bit of an exaggeration. More like 4k for the snake + permits xD

Also found that Cribos are closely related... Any idea what the general temperament on those guys are?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #5
TyeW
Cribos can be quite feisty and flighty as far as I know. Indigos and Cribos are amazing snakes.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
daddio207
Cribo's are usually wild caught and are a lot to handle. Depending on size and whether their black or yellow tail will run anywhere from $200 to $800+. I have a CB black tail who is as calm and personable as my corns. WC can be picky eaters where CB will take frozen thawed rodents readily. They grow FAST and require a large Viv. Also cribos eat smaller meals. Their not constrictors and are fed more often. If you can find a CB black tail Cribo then that's what I would go for based on temperament and price. There are some available out there right now.
Cribos are an intermediate level snake. Beginners (not you based on your sig. ) should start with a Black King or milk. Both are very personable.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Nanci
Don't MBMs get considerably larger than MBKs?

And how's my baby? :-)

Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
HVani
I highly suggest black milksnakes. They are the largest of the milksnakes and pretty easy going once they are adults. Once they are full grown they are jet black. Mine is about a year and a half old and really you can only still see the red on his belly.

This is not my guy but gives you an idea of size.

Mine is still young and around 3 feet long. 5-6 feet is what to expect from these guys. They are neat snakes and do get quite a bit bigger than Black king snakes.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
MysticExotics
I'll have to ask Casey Lazik if he has any pics of his (former) larger line of MBK's.
I believe they average in the 6ft range.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Chip
Mine are the old San Antonio Zoo line, which were supposed to be known for being large and jet black. Didn't pair them up this year, but will next.

Don't hold out for me to produce any, lest Murphy strike, but the S.A.Z. line are known to be big. They are great snakes, require no supplemental heat, and are about as calm as cooked spaghetti (which eastern indigos are not always).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google