CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Hurricane Forum / Info

Old 06-09-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
larryg
Hurricane Forum / Info

I experienced Frances and Jeanne last year, and I'm glad I discovered http://www.flhurricane.com before they hit. The News Talkbacks forum is usually the most active, with many experienced and educated meterologists, along with some non-expert posters who report conditions in their cities, etc. It also has many links to sites with satellite photos, various computer models, and other info. The site has been redone since last year, and all the information is right there. I could be 100% wrong, but it looks like Arlene is shifting more to the NE instead of NW. A meteorogist said that on the forum, and it looks right to me. I guess we'll find out where it's going in another 10 or 15 minutes, with the 11:00 news and 11:00 updated forecasts from the NHC.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
larryg
whoops

meteorologists... (typo)

Old 06-10-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
Mary-Beth
Do you know if there are sites like that for other states?

Old 06-10-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
larryg
It's not really just for Florida. It's based in Central Florida, but they talk about storms everywhere, and there are plenty of posters from other states. It's the only site like it that I've found... definitely the most popular and probably the best run.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
Taceas
Mary-Beth and anyone else who's interested..

A local meteorologist who I befriended shared with me these two sites that he uses in his new station. And so far, I really like them. They're easy for the backyard meteorologist like myself to read and understand, so long as you can read a radar.

The Storm Prediction Center of the National Weather Service:
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/

Shows realtime radar and satellite imagery, also displays watches and warnings, and storm reports associated with major systems for the Contiguous US.

Another to show where lightning strikes are occuring the in the US:
https://thunderstorm.vaisala.com/ or www.lightningstorm.com

You have to click the "Click here for a free lightning map" in the middle right.

And the all important Weatherbug for real weather geeks like me:
www.weatherbug.com

It sits on your desktop or down in the tray by the clock and displays the current temp outside. It also has local forecasts, alerts you to severe weather or warnings, shows local radar, and is just pretty neat all around.

I even felt so naked at work I brough my Pro version with me. You can get a free version of it, but it does have ads you have to deal with. Or you can buy a 1-2 year subscription of it and be able to change the skin of it and no ads. I use it enough it was worth my while to pay for it.

Enjoy y'all!

Edit: And it looks like Arlene is even supposed to visit me in Indiana by Sunday/Monday if it keeps it current course. Fun stuff!

Old 06-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
Mary-Beth
lol that's what I get for clicking on the link and just glancing around without really reading .

Glad to see I'm not the only backyard meteorologist!
I don't know how I lived before I got weather bug!

Old 06-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
mbdorfer
For what it's worth, www.hurricanealley.net is the site I swear by. They were dead on with the paths of Frances Jeanne and Ivan from the get go.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #8
CAV
Intellicast.com is another great weather site.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google