• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

calcium sand

shell

can someone please tell me if calcium sand is good to use for my hatchling corn snake? im worried about her being able to digest it even if they say it is easliy digestable. i have heard conflicting stories.
thanks shell

No, sand is not a good substrate for Corns. It's very drying to the skin which will make them uncomfortable. I know they say it's digestable but I wouldn't want my snake to eat any of it. Good choices for substrate are newspaper/papertowels, Aspen, ReptiBark and some like cage carpet. IMHO, sand would not be a good choice:D

please dont use it!!

newspaper or paper towels are the best substrates for hatchlings,its easy to replace when soiled and your hatchlig will be easy to find after a while (i usualy wait 3months at least)use beach chips or any other recommended substrate.
i looked into using calci-sand for my bearded dragon and the
advice i got was dont bother it is not proven to prevent impaction.

clacium sand

thanks guys for your input i was really worried because i have it right now as her bedding i will remove it a.s.a.p.

my vet says YES on calci sand, but the pros say NO

I'm worried now. I took my vet's reccomendation and got calci-sand a few weeks ago (she's a reptile expert). :eek: She uses it for her bearded dragon, and said it should be fine for my four corns (all of whom are a couple years old). Who should I believe, the vet who says yes or the corn-pros on this site who say no???? Any ideas?

Your vet is WRONG. Plain and simple, WRONG. :)

There have even been reports of this so called "digestable" cali-sand killing lizards housed on it. It's not as safe as some people claim. Just because the package says "disgestable" it doesn't have to be true. There is no agency to govern what pet product manafactures put on their labels. And I highly doubt even the company who makes cali-sand has even done ONE study to make sure its 100% digestable (which it is not or else people would not have lost geckos to impaction from it)

Another issue aside from impaction is that cornsnakes don't come from the desert, and they don't live on sand. Period. It can be irratating to scales, (think of those tiny cracks) and certainly get into the mouth. I wouldn't keep your corn on sand, and I would also get a better vet.

Up to date, reliable reptile vets would never suggest keeping a corn on sand. Your vet though might be GREAT with one type of reptile, but for snakes you really need to search out a special vet because even reptile vets might know more about lizards than snakes. My local reptile vets are great with lizards and other reptiles but no good with snakes.

bmm

Thanks for the expert advice. Guess it's out with the sand, and back to newspaper and paper towels for me.

So I guess what you're saying is that pet product companies can basically make any claim they want, and nobody can regulate it?

Another thing I don't like about it...

is that you can't get rid of the smell after they go on it. You can spot clean, but the cage still smells like poo.

I used it on my leopard geckos for a while. I just couldn't get rid of the smell without changing out all the sand??? I put them back on newspaper and the smell was gone.

And also, it's to expensive!

Brian Miller
BC Reptiles

Yeah the sand definitly stinks after awhile I have heard.

I am not an expert, but things between private hobbyists and vets can be vary different. Usually even reptile vets aren't well schooled in snakes, and their care is very different. But the good thing is there are a lot of vets out there who are outstanding with snakes. You just gotta sort through em! :) Another thing that I have personally noticed is that even vets great with snakes or reptiles are great with their health issues, but most don't know much about husbandry although both things go hand in hand.

But anyways, no one regulates the pet trade from a product standpoint like the FDA does for food and such. There is no one out there to test these products in a lab controlled situation and give results. Unless the companies (which the good ones do) do the research themselves, or someone takes the task upon themself wanting to verify the product. Most things like cali-sand, reptile shed aid spray, vitamin sprays, etc do nothing at all and most animals are better off without them.

There is a lot of information out there, and some of the best comes from people on forums like this with years of first hand experience with your specific reptile. You have to know how to pick and choose whats right and wrong, especially at pet stores and mics. personal websites, even at the vets. Its hard but in the long run you normally get enough hard facts, data and info from someone to make their advice worthwhile and correct.

bmm

Back