CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Kids found a random snake... can anyone identify?

Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
Becca58
According to http://swfieldherp.com/D._p.html they are venomous, but the venom seems to be harmless to Humans.

Plus, they are rear-fanged, so they'd have to get a substantial bite on you to even get their fangs to your skin.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
WestCoast_Redneck
Right on! Thanks for the info, they are a beautiful snake. I sure wish we had more species around here!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #23
HerpsOfNM
Of the 2 subspecies (D. p. arnyi & D. p. regalis) I play with out here in NM, I've yet to have either attempt to bite. They are more interested in fleeing, musking, or hiding their heads. I've not heard of any bites, and as mentioned they are rear-fanged. They mostly eat small inverts, with large subspecies like regalis eating lizards, snakes, and small mammals.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #24
thewad71
I've found about a dozen of them over the years here in South Florida. Very glossy black. From about 4 inches up to a foot long.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google