CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Snakey's mansion build.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #11
JohnnyK
Wow, very nice and impressive looking; can't wait to see some further progress pics.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
Asbit
I have to say I am jealous, and love it thus far. I can not wait to see it progress further.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
rexracer
I'm pretty excited myself! I'm going to try to get the doors done and on by the weekend, and I'll try to get the glass for the floor tomorrow. My flexwatt and heat panel should be here tomorrow, too.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
Asbit
Man now you have my wheels turning. My son is apprenticing to be a carpenter and is presently working at a custom cabinet company...maybe I should just see if they would make me a custom beardie house and how much it would be.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #15
rexracer
If you can get him to do the work himself, and work on his own time, and he has a nice boss, you might get it for material cost, or free.
I wouldn't be doing this if I had to pay for it. It's probably $150 cost in material alone, and if I designed it for a customer it would probably be $1500+

Old 12-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #16
Ares2010
That's cool. Perhaps I need to think about making Ares & Zeus one.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #17
Asbit
@ rexracer here is the cabinet he built me in his Gr. 12 cabinet making class for my Christmas present last year. The outer dimensions are approx 6" tall by 2' deep by 3.5' wide. So while it is technically a work in progress, I am still very happy with it.

He did not quite finish it by the end of class. He still has to finish staining the inside of the drawer (at my request) and he has not had time to put the clear coat on it yet. Because we live in Saskatchewan and our garage is not heated, it was moved in and is in use until next summer when he can put it back in the garage and finish it for me.

This picture shows the entire unit.

This one shows that the drawers are fully expendable on sliders, ease of access when cleaning or getting the snake.

This picture shows the gigantic storage drawer at the bottom, it is approx 3.5' wide, approx 1' tall and approx 2' deep.

He has only been at this job for a few weeks so I think he would still be to uncomfortable to ask for the ability to use shop tools and spare time to do a project of his own. Maybe in the future.

Hope you do not mind me showing you what he did for me on his own, he even drafted up all of the plans based on what I described I wanted.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #18
rexracer
Very nice! Keep an eye on the screws holding the drawer slides to the sides of the cabinet. With a heavy load like that tank, they may loosen and work their way out over time, especially if they're screwed into plywood or particle board/MDF. If they do start to loosen, you can strengthen the screw hole by removing the screw and putting some thin CA glue in the hole, then re-inserting the screw.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #19
Marica
@ rexracer That cage unit looks pretty sweet so far. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

@ Asbit Wow! Your son did an amazing job. How are you liking it? Ours is holding up pretty good. One of the drawers is a little stiff, but still working after a years' use.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
darth-hayzer
Rexracer that is going to be awesome cage and Asbit , your is just awesome !!
Maybe I will make something one day .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google