CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Tame Wild Black Rat Snake

Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Aozora
Tame Wild Black Rat Snake

My roommate was outside bracing the tomatoes and peppers before the thunderstorm that's covering the whole southeast hit when he saw this guy sitting on the patio, no more than 10 steps from the back door. The black rat snake head-bumped him when he tried to pick it(him?) up too close to the head, but was fine being picked up lower down the body.

My roommate brought him in and put him in a spare bin because the next few days' forecast is Bad Weather. He had no issues being put in a bin, and when I got home he tried to hide in the couch for a moment before curling up and enjoying my body heat. He's prolly not full grown. I'd put him at 4.5 feet long, but what a beauty.

We fed him because all good hotels offer room service, and he just daintily lifted his head, gently took two hoppers in turn, and swallowed them without even uncoiling. My roommate and I kept going, "This is a *wild* snake?"

We don't feel right keeping a wild snake, so we'll release him when the weather clears up. However, we're very much in love with black rat snakes now. If a wild one we literally picked out of the yard is this sweet, how much more so will a captive-born baby raised by hand be?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Chip
That's awesome! They aren't all that amenable to handling right out of the wild!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Weda737
My girl that was hatched from wild parents can be a bit of a Sh*thead. Her mom was a wonderful snake what little time we had, basically just digging her the rest of the way up from her nest and getting all the fire ants off her. I imagine she'll grow out of her fussiness though. She's only about 2 feet currently and can be a turd to pick up, a little flighty sometimes when held too. But she's calming down with age.

It's so awesome that you got to experience such a nice black rat, they really do just make you fall in love the way that they can be so agreeable.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Rich Z
Actually most of the black rat snakes I have found in the wild were pretty mild mannered if you didn't scare the beejeezus out of them. Just free handle them without grabbing them around the neck and trying to restrain them and they are usually fine with the arrangement.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
hikisquid
Wow, what a pretty snake! Perhaps he could feel the storm coming and decided a nice warm place indoors was worth being fussed over? The free meal is a bonus!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
hypnoctopus
Really beautiful snake!

Old 06-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
Nanci
So cool!!! Every one I've found has been exactly like that.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
MotleyMedusa7
so cool! we don't have black rat snakes here,only Texas rats & they aren't known for their mild nature..quite the opposite in fact lol

Old 06-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
chris68
I can only remember one wild black rat, ever, that was not easy handled, and he was completely hateful. Beautiful snake guys, they are an awesome find

Old 06-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Aozora
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikisquid View Post
Wow, what a pretty snake! Perhaps he could feel the storm coming and decided a nice warm place indoors was worth being fussed over? The free meal is a bonus!
I can see it now: word's going to get out, and before every storm I'll have black rat snakes lining up for their spot in Blue Sky Reptiles' Black Rat Bed & Bath...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google