CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Cheap/favorite hide ideas anyone?

Old 02-15-2015, 02:55 PM   #21
Kaifyre
I tried cardboard and paper towel tubes for a while and the snakes all preferred to burrow in the aspen. I go hiking a lot so I just collected a bunch of slate pieces and fallen branches. Sterilized everything in the oven and with boiling water and they were all good to go. I use the branches for climbing and the slate pieces for hides and our snakies all love them. As an added bonus I can lay a big chunk of slate over the UTH and the heat gets soaked up by the rock to make a perfect little basking rock, especially when I cover them with faux plants. : )

-- Kai

Old 05-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #22
nuts4hotwheels

I found this rock years ago and brought it home It's been out in the garden, but I decided to bring it in and sterilize it for my baby corn snake. It has a bunch of holes for him to climb through and he hides in the little crevices.

Brian

Old 05-22-2015, 12:17 AM   #23
ArvadaLanee
I have a little piece of tubing that was left over from our 55 gallon aquarium that I put in the viv with Nightmare. It has a slight curve to it, so I bury it in his aspen so that you can only see the two openings on the top of the aspen. He must love it, because when I clean it, there are always a couple poops in there. Haha.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #24
nuts4hotwheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArvadaLanee View Post
I have a little piece of tubing that was left over from our 55 gallon aquarium that I put in the viv with Nightmare. It has a slight curve to it, so I bury it in his aspen so that you can only see the two openings on the top of the aspen. H.

I had a piece of pvc in my tterrarium but took it out to give a more "natural" look. I might use your idea and bury it in the bedding. It would give him a nice hide but not be an eyesore. I might even put rocks around it like a little cave.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #25
ArvadaLanee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts4hotwheels View Post
I had a piece of pvc in my tterrarium but took it out to give a more "natural" look. I might use your idea and bury it in the bedding. It would give him a nice hide but not be an eyesore. I might even put rocks around it like a little cave.
That's actually exactly what I did when I cleaned the viv yesterday. I made the aspen into a hill in one spot, with the tubing buried in it, and surrounded the front opening with a couple rocks. You can't even tell it's there.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #26
nuts4hotwheels
How big is your snake? What size pvc did you use?

Brian

Old 05-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #27
ArvadaLanee
Our little guy is just a baby. He only weighted 11 grams when I last weighed him. I didn't use PVC. I used a curved piece of tubing left over from when we set up our aquarium. I am not sure of the exact measurements, but the opening is a little bigger than a quarter. When he gets a bit larger, I will have to buy PVC to replace it.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #28
nuts4hotwheels
I have a baby too. The pvc I used was a 1-1/2" because that is what I had at home. I think that it is too big for him too feel secure. I am thinking about cutting it in half length wise to make a half circle, which might work better anyway.

Brian

Old 05-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #29
ArvadaLanee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts4hotwheels View Post
I have a baby too. The pvc I used was a 1-1/2" because that is what I had at home. I think that it is too big for him too feel secure. I am thinking about cutting it in half length wise to make a half circle, which might work better anyway.

Brian
That is a good idea. My little guy fits pretty snuggly in his tubing by folding himself in half. I was already thinking that the next time I do a full cleaning of the viv I should cut a slit all the way down the tube lengthwise, because I have read that they can get themselves stuck, and I worry about that. Maybe I will just cut off about a third of the bottom of it instead, and make sure the edges aren't sharp.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #30
nuts4hotwheels
I am at work on a slow day. So, I cut a piece of 2" PVC that I had here. It is now 7/8" x 3". I will clean it up and sterilize it, if I decide to use it. I mainly wanted to see how easy it was to cut and work with.

Brian

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google