• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

DIY clay hides I made

Thi is really a wonderful idea!! My son loves to work with clay so this would be great for him. He loves to make all kinds of things. I will be getting some of this clay before school lets out and he can be busy for a long time making everyone their own hide! Thank you so much for posting this. I am sure that with the stick end of a brush or something, that it would be possible to carve the names of each snake on them as well. So many ideas for this!! I cant hardly wait to get some now!! Thanks again!!

I copied you :)

Floydandsnake038-1.jpg

My cave imploded while it was in the oven :(

Floydandsnake043.jpg

Gunther checkin out his new diggs

Floydandsnake015.jpg

just because he's so darn cute :rofl:

how high should the the inside be for a corn snake, i designed one in my art class that looks like a snake and hollowed it out to be a diameter of maybe 6 inches and an inch or 2 high. Will it work or is it too small.

how high should the the inside be for a corn snake, i designed one in my art class that looks like a snake and hollowed it out to be a diameter of maybe 6 inches and an inch or 2 high. Will it work or is it too small.

I think that would work for a small one, not sure for an adult.

so great to see other people making their own hides! :D

Here's a new one I made for a snake thats outgrown the others.

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

Self made hides

Wow this looks like a great project. I might have to give this a try. I do have some question though. First off when you put these in the oven, do you need to use a mold for them so they don't cave in? Also once they are baked, do they need the Scupley glaze to waterproof them, or do you use something else to waterproof them so they don't get wet when needing to spray the cage down at shed time? I did find a website that has the clay and seen the granite package.....might have to give that one a try.

I've made quite a few Sculpey hides. I just use the colored kind, so you don't have to paint them. For a glaze I've used both the Sculpey glaze and clear aquarium epoxy. The aquarium epoxy doesn't dry smooth, but it does protect the clay from poops. If your snake poops on it, you just wipe it off with a damp washcloth. You can use throw away alluminum tins as molds. They can be found in the baking aisle. They come in little ones, and big ones. The kind you would make a meatloaf in, or pie tins. Here's a few of mine.

Attachments

• cbothhides.JPG
    cbothhides.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 109
My sculpey hides

I too have recently found Sculpey and must say, wow its great stuff!! :D I haven't painted any of mine as I brought some nice colours. This one was my first and is for my hatchling. I think he likes it, it's silver but I will look into some kind of non-toxic varnish for it before putting it in.

Attachments

• Copy of Hatchling hides 002.jpg silver.jpg
    Copy of Hatchling hides 002.jpg silver.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 89
They look great. I love the cave the best. My only concern is how toxic they may be. I'm sure their fine, but I would definitely not use paint on it that you don't know how harmful it is. Acrylic, for example, might not be the best idea. It can be toxic, and all it takes is for your hide-caves to have any moisture and the paint will come off. Especially with an active snake, that paint would end up right in the water dish. I'm not sure, but I would just keep an eye out for the first few days with it in your tank to see if their is any paint residue anywhere in your tank.

Back when I used to use Fimo and Sculpey all the time, the individually wrapped squares I'd get usually had a big ol' "TOXIC" written on them. That was probably over 15 years ago... I'm pretty sure they've changed things since then due to heightened restrictions on products that kids come into contact with. But I'd recommend double check the clay before using it.

Most other DIY tutorials I've come across for herp accessories generally coat the end-product with a varnish. I would highly recommending a coat of non-toxic varnish on any painted products.

I love these! I now have the perfect project for my kids..especially my son. He'll love the idea of making something for his snake. Great idea.

hey those are pretty cool! thats a good idea im gunna go to michaels arts and crafts to buy some of thi stuff =] i think they sell those 1lb brick of the stuff. but does it have to be sculpy or do the other brands work too? just as long as its non toxic right?

Back