• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snakecerian Section! Pics?

K. Rene

Cozmic Cornz
So I was talking with my Dad about incubating and eggs hatching and if a baby hasn't hatched after 36hrs (?) after all the others people sometimes make an 'incision' to help a weak baby get out or to find out why it didn't hatch. My dad replies "So they preform a snakecarian?!" OMG Dad that was amazing!!! Totally going to use that and share it with my cornsnakes.com peeps :)

Anyone have pics or stories about helping a hatching out or doing an egg-topsy on a hatching that didn't make it?

I don't cut them. I kinda feel if they can't pip on their own, there is probably a reason why. And I have never cut into one that didn't pip and found the hatchling still alive, just DIE ones.
I know some breeders feel different than me.
Cool play on words though LOL

I agree with ghost. I cut one open last year that was taking longer than all the others, and it died. Your basically forcing them out of the egg before they're fully developed. Its like a human having a c section at 7 or 8 months lol. Also never force them to come out early. Let them come out when they feel it. It could cause them to die, make them stressed, etc.

The only egg I ever slit had a live deformed baby in it. I wish I hadn't done it.
Same here. It died before coming out of the egg.

I take the view that if an egg isn't hatching, it's usually for a good reason. I don't second-guess nature on this issue, although I know plenty of folks routinely slit eggs and have success. It's just not for me.

I cut a egg open last year it was the only one that hadn't hatched yet. The outcome was the snake was still attached to the yolk. It came out later that night and the yolk got caught on the egg. In the morning I checked on it and it had died.

On the advice of some here I slit my eggs last year on day 70 and the next day all the eggs had many slits and slowly they all came out. None had any issues. I do not know if I would do it again though because only 2 ever ate for me.

So if you have a good percent of the eggs out on their own. How long do you wait until you "give up" on the remaining eggs? Do you slit them then if you are sure they aren't hatching to see what is inside or do you toss them?

Sorry...not quite on the topic there, but seeing the replies was making me wonder.

I usually wait 3-4 days after the last hatchling has come out on its own before cutting into an egg- more to see why they didn't hatch than to help anything along though.

I don't have to slit open an egg too often, but will if I think it has taken too long to pip. As with most people, those have often been hatchlings that are deformed and wouldn't have made it anyway. But I have had a few that did quite well. Now they may have been ready to slit the egg on their own at that time and I just beat them to it.

One thing I will mention that I do with just about every egg. Once they do pip, I will increase the size of the slits myself, making sure the opening is good and wide as I've had a few hatchlings that stick their heads out of tiny slits and then get stuck and die.

I did do some snakecerians last year but I am pretty sure that it was just me being nervous cause the 3 eggs that I cut open had huge babies that ate very well. So I think they would have done it on their own anyway.

Like Susan if they make a small slit than I will increase the size and leave them alone. I watched one make a tiny slit not even big enough to get his nose out and then you could see him frantically rubbing his nose all over the egg trying to make more. So I assumed that he lost his egg tooth and couldn't keep going so I made the slit bigger and sure enough he popped his head out right away.

I concur, I think it's wise to make the size of the incision bigger IF the baby was having a difficult time making it larger like in cmalchow's case. And if an egg doesn't hatch after 2-3 days after the others I will probably do the eggtopsy just to see why it didn't, just out of morbid curiosity and educational purposes. Only time will tell. The girls who laid the eggs are pretty awesome so the babies might be too :)

Back