CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Wannabe Thief

Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #41
Nanci
I'm glad your mom didn't harm the snake. I'm sorry about your hen!

Old 07-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #42
Aozora
Thief #3, the one who we think is gravid, had some trouble with her shed while my mom was watching over all the critters. We had to put her in the bathtub and slowly and carefully help her shed pretty much her entire skin. She was *not* pleased with us. She musked my roommate, and she hissed on every breath she took until her skin began to peel off easily and she figured out what we were getting at.

I counted at least 4 lumps. I hope they're actually eggs and not my eyes playing tricks on me. I also hope that if they are eggs, the firmness with which I was holding her did not damage them inside of her. She's a good-sized snake, and she took some restraining to get the shed skin off.

Since she did shed, we'll find out about whether those are eggs or not pretty soon! Debating about offering her food again, I'm thinking that even though our captive corns refuse food before laying a wild snake will not.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #43
Nanci
I think you'll see eggs within 8-12 days. How exciting!

Old 07-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #44
Aozora
Look who we caught red...scaled?... trying to sneak into the quail shed! Meet Thief #4! He's a lot heavier-bodied than the others, even though he's not all that big length-wise. He also has a huge head--we thought he was triangle-heading at us, but no, that's just him. But boy does he have a 'tude. No biting, but he's a musk machine and he doesn't stop rattling. He really disliked the camera, as evidenced by the way he 'tuded at it.

Kind of a sad day, we butchered off 10 of our extra quail roosters. It's so much quieter without them. But I look at the home-raised meat in our freezer, and it's all worthwhile. Still have lots of birdies left, and we're up to 9-11 eggs a day! Gonna start up the incubator this weekend and try to hatch us some more.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #45
ceduke
I just discovered this thread and I am delighted to meet all of your little thieves! Thank you for sharing them with us!!

Old 07-13-2014, 05:20 AM   #46
Aozora
Thief #5! Has to be a new snake, he's too big for #1, too small for #2, and not stocky enough for #4. (#3 is still playing games with her lay box.)

He's been an interesting one. I had to play tug-of-war to get him out of the quail hutch. Then, when we brought him inside, he managed to jailbreak his tank after 3 solid hours of shoving the lid. We found him curled up in our "hospital" closet where we're nursing an injured box turtle under an array of nice warm lights. (The lid has been fixed and clipped in place.) He's been very good-natured about it the whole time, at least.

Also, spot the kitty photobomb.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #47
Nanci
I still think you should get china markers to label them. Like Reservoir Dogs!

Old 07-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #48
Aozora
Guess who showed up today?

Thief #1!

He's starting to understand how the game works. He tried to run away from us for a little bit while he was in the quail hutch, but gave up pretty quickly. No biting or musking or flailing. Then, when we put him into his temporary home, he went right into his favorite hide and curled right up.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #49
Aozora
This is getting ridiculous... Went out to check on the quail, and #4 was curled up on the waste tray, just hanging out. Didn't struggle or musk, and actually wanted to climb on my head (I didn't let him). We have 3 wild black rat snakes in the house right now: #1 hasn't finished digesting his mouse yet and will be released in the morning, #3 isn't laying and we're suspecting she might not be gravid after all, and #4 is hanging out in a temporary bin. We're rapidly running out of room for everyone!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:00 AM   #50
ceduke
Hehehe, I envy you all of your lovely little thieves!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google