CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Rat snake baby?

Old 10-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
cardicorgi
Rat snake baby?

My sons found a baby snake in our garage today that our cat brought in. Pretty sure that it is a rat snake baby but wanted to double check here since I am new to trying to ID snakes. Sadly it is alive but seems paralyzed about two inches down so I'm afraid we will have to put it out of its misery soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
daddio207
Looks like a grey rat snake.

Poor guy ! Hope you can help either way

Old 10-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
cardicorgi
Yeah.... he is in a safe place for now and if he doesn't show any improvement I will have to assume he is paralyzed and end his suffering. I don't have much hope.

No worries... we are looking for a good indoor home for our cat, but our youngest boy's allergies have gone off the charts since we moved here to NC and he cannot tolerate the cat being indoors here anymore, despite taking daily allergy meds and using his inhaler twice a day for maintanence... and I refuse to take her to a shelter where she would probably be put down for no reason, so until I can find a new home for her I'm afraid the wild snakes and mice will have to be extra careful.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Rich Z
In North Carolina, I would expect that to be a baby black rat snake. If you are in the more southeastern area of the state, it could be what a lot of people refer to as the "greenish rat snake" which is an intergrade between a black rat snake and a yellow rat snake.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
cardicorgi
We're pretty close to Raleigh so I was guessing black rat too. He doesn't seem to be any better so we will put him out of his misery soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google