CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

The marriage that killed my love for snakes and the Corn Snake that saved my life.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
JAGSnake
The marriage that killed my love for snakes and the Corn Snake that saved my life.

Hey everyone, here is some info on me.

Been a snake collector for over 20 years.
I have been registered with the FG&FWFC to possess or exhibit Venomous reptiles over 10 years.
As a side job for a few years I worked for Week’s Snake Removal.
I’ve been on the front page of the Local section; Tallahassee Democrat July 1995

For years I collected snakes, it was more then a hobby but apart of me. Being involved with snakes was a way of life for me. All my free time was spent watching my snakes, improving cages, talking with the guys up at the local reptile shop, spending thousands of hours in the field including night driving. I spent so much time with my snakes that I was able to free hand many of my venomous snakes including (Fatality) my 6 foot Eastern Diamondback that made the front page of the local section of the Tallahassee Democrat.

I have freehanded Pygmy Rattle Snakes, Rhino Vipers, Sidewinders, Neo-tropical Rattle Snakes and W. Diamondbacks. Some called me crazy and maybe I was but it was a love and understanding of the snakes that I felt a bond with them. I even had my E. Diamondback potty trained. I could pick him up with bare hands, take him to the yard and he would poop. You might be asking have you ever been bit? Twice I have been bit. Once by a Prairie Rattle Snake, he was able to get 1 fang in my thumb as I was picking him up behind the head. The other time was by my Diamondback but it was a DRY bite and I strongly believe he wasn’t sure if it was me or feeding time. He lunged forward and hit the palm of my hand, I was so thankful he wasn’t out to get me.

In December 1996 I married someone who I really didn’t know, we both thought we were meant to be together. I stayed with her through 3 ½ years of hell and we had a child together. He was growing up and my X kept telling me I need to get rid of the snakes and after a year or so being told this I finally gave in thinking this is best for my son, just incase. 6 months later the bitch left me and I have regretted my decision to get rid of the snakes, it has ate at me every day. My heart was broken and for almost 6 years I have been without snakes. 1-½ years after my X left me I remarried but my current wife is the type who will cry if she sees a snake. I haven’t really pushed snakes on her and thought I would never own snakes again.

4 days ago a neighbor called me up and told me to come up the road and catch this snake that was crossing the road. I ran up there and was expecting a water snake or garter snake as I usually see around here. This time it was my first Corn Snake after living here 2 1/2 years. I bought it home and kept it in a box as I told my wife, “Don’t answer me now but tell me what I got to do for you to allow me to have a snake”. After a day I finally got her to say ok, but it has to stay in my game room and if it ever gets out….

I now am an owner of my first snake in 6 years, my son and I have been going out every night looking for snakes on the road and we both love it. I feel like my life is full again and that void for 6 years has been filled again. This time I am with my 4 year old son who is just as excited as I am. It’s a great feeling and one that I will never give up again.

We live in Jacksonville and last night we caught and released 2 Yellow Rat’s, 3 Garter Snakes and just missed 2 dead Corns and 1 dead Yellow Rat. I have lived in Florida for a long time and I have never caught or seen a King Snake. One Scarlet King but never an Eastern or Florida King, not even a dead one on the road, I just don’t get it.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
dawnrenee2000
Thanks for sharing with us. I am so happy that you were able to start fulfilling that passion for yourself again. I have been down your road before in similiar circumstances and have vowed and stuck to since then, never to give up my dreams and interests for someone again. the right someone will just have to mesh with them. Enjoy your wonderful new snake.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
princess
Well, welcome back to the colubrid side of things. I'm sure you'll have some fun here.

On a side note and not to start an arguement and with no other info at hand on the topic....

I must agree with your ex when it comes to raising hots in the same house as a toddler. It's a risk I'd never take. Same goes for the very large constrictors.

Herp keeping has a lot to offer but death of a loved one is not a risk that's worth it to me.

Cheers and have a good day,

Adèle

Old 06-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
norbert03
okay...

it sucks that your ex wife hated and made you get rid of your snakes.

i believe that to snakes we are trees, our arms the branches. i don't think a snake would be out to get you, it would be out to protect itself. if it feels threatened it will tag. if you are still and slow you are more likely not to be found dead. you also possess a rare quality that allows you to understand the snakes on a deeper level. impressive. a venomous species is more likely to be agressive than a corn snake or that is the common thinking. i have only ever run into one venomous snake, a coral snake, which is a rather docile species i've been told. i was in cassia, florida with a group of eight children. thankfully, their were horses up the path that i was able to redirect the children's attention to. i hesitate to pick up my hatchling snow corn when he is curled up and eyeing my hand, so, i admire your courage. would you be able to scan and post that picture of you on the cover of the publication?

it is nice to hear that you are more content b/c this aspect of your life has been given back to you and that you are able to share your passion with your boy. it is the things that others may view as simple or ridiculous in life that sometimes hold the greatest importance. it probably also helps heal past wounds. you got through it and you can begin anew. congrats and i hope your wife will allow you to house more snakes in the future

Old 06-01-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
Russell
Wow...

welcome back to the all that slithers side! Yes, living your life to make someone else happy doesn't very often pay off very well! I see that around me. And thankfully my second wife is ok with the snakes. Course, after the first marriage, I learned a few things. And I know in relationships, you can't find your happiness in the other person, but rather in yourself! Seems my current wife and I get along better this way. She knows my animals define part of who I am. You can't take that away! Hopefully in time your current wife will understand or more tolerate this wonderful hobby! Again, welcome back!

Old 06-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
JAGSnake
My scanner broke some months ago but her are some digital pictures I just took. I hope it is clear enough to see the Diamondback around my neck and next to an X-girlfriend.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
princess
That's a biggun!

Old 06-01-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
Williv
That's just awesome.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
JAGSnake
Don't try this **** at home. I have years and years of experience and before I got married was 99% crazy and didn't care. I have a picture some where of me and a Pygmy Rattlesnake I will have to find.

But for real, none of you try this ****! It takes GREAT understanding of snakes and these guys can turn on you in a heartbeat. My Western Diamondback was fine for a year of this type of handling and one day you could tell he wasn't the same snake. As I was coming towards the aquarium he struck at me hitting the glass. Same went with a RED Pygmy, was fine for 6 months and one day I could tell he wasn't the same snake and as I was hooking him to put him back into his cage he struck.
This may look cool but I would never ever support anyone to try this unless you like playing with death.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google