CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

best way to thaw a frozen pinky

Old 08-29-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
ashleynicole
best way to thaw a frozen pinky

hi, im going to pick up 10 frozen pinkies today i had the pet store order in for me... but i need to feed him one too. Whats the best way to thaw? Just let it sit out until its thawed? and do i need to warm it up in some warm water or someting???
TIA

Old 08-29-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
Roy Munson
I thaw all sizes in a styrofoam cup with the hottest water I can get out of the tap. I let pinks sit in the cup of water for two or three minutes. For larger mice, I usually let them sit for four or five minutes, then I change the water and let them sit for another five. I usually give the mice a good finger press to make sure they're thawed all the way through.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
ashleynicole
sounds good to me... i will try that today.. he has been fed live pinkies since he was born (according the the pet store guy) so i hope he takest he prekilled ones ok.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
MattPreita
Re: defrosting

defrosting the mice can either be done by placeing them in some warm water untill defrosted or left out to defrost normally. if there is an urgent need in the microwave on very low setting but there are problems with this as you get hot spots or still frozen areas and the possiblity of it exploding if left in to long. I would go with the water personally.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
graffixcs
I use snack bags to freeze my feeders in. I put the appropriate amount in each bag, single pinks in your case, that way you don't get them all stuck together when it's time to remove one from the freezer. Then I either soak the whole bag (still sealed) in warm water if I have to hurry, or I simply sit this bag on top of a cage to thaw slowly (usually while I finish the first half dozen cups of coffee and scroll through the forums). If the pinks are warm to the touch and soft, they are ready. I don't take them out of the little baggies until I drop them into the feed tubs.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:03 PM   #6
dagger
Like the others i put the mouse in a food bag, then place it in a small saucepan and pour hot water over it, and leave for about 10 mins.
Works everytime.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
ashleynicole
well i went to the petstore and the frozen pinkies i ordered hadn't come in yet, so i had to buy a live one, but he ate it and hes fat and happy. They said to check in on wednesday to see if my frozen ones are in, but i think i will individually freeze them and then put the little bags in one big bag. THat way i can just take out one little bag at a time. I don't like the microwave idea... i think ill stick to the warm water... lol. Im just worried about him not wanting to take a pinky if its not warm enough.. but i guess you use warm enough water and he smells it right?

Old 08-29-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
Serpwidgets
Our tap water here is hot enough that you can literally cook pinkies if you use the hottest setting. (They brown like beef, and bloat up, and the skin explodes when it's pierced, hehe.) Personally, I make the water about as hot as I can stand to hold my hand in it. At this temp, a pinky will thaw out in a few minutes.

Alternatively, you can just leave it out to thaw.

If it's not warm enough, you can also just squeeze (but not squish) it in your hand to thaw it out and warm it up. Also works with fuzzies.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:36 PM   #9
miamijuan3
I use freshly killed the pet store owner handles the killing part but with the growth of my collection I'm considering changing to frozen i heard they are much cheaper. i currently pay $1 for pinkies or fuzzies and $1.25 for mice. I also plan to add a few more corns and a pair of ball pythons to my collection next month. is their much difference in frozen i know you have to thaw them out first but is their anything else i should know?

Old 08-29-2005, 05:45 PM   #10
dagger
I've found that my corn doesn't take the mice straight away, i have to place the mouse near the light to warm it up a bit, then he snaps it all up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google