CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

1 male to every 3 female mice????

Old 07-04-2004, 06:20 PM   #11
magick-bears
I personaly don't like aquariums. I hate taking the risk of broken glass. Back in the day I used nothing but lab cages and they were great. I highly recommend them if you can afford them. However, I am currantly using a very cheap alternative. We use the Sterilite 12 and 15 quart with holes burned in the sides and the lid. I then have a hole cut in the lid for the top of the watter. I stick the watter bottle through this and then screw on the nozel to hold the bottle upright. I keep up to 1.4 in each tub. I use Aspen pellets and only have to clean them every 7 to 10 days. If I have 2 or more large litters or over 25 babies then I clean every 5 to 7 days.

Jeff C.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:48 AM   #12
Sasheena
Quote:
I personaly don't like aquariums. I hate taking the risk of broken glass.
I do agree with you there. I use a ten gallon aquarium as my transfer point, while cleaning the rat cages, they hang out there for a few minutes.

Last year I learned the hard way about how dangerous a loose ten gallon aquarium can be. We had just moved, our house was a mess, it was late at night and we were unpacking stuff. I tripped and fell... landing butt-first on my Rosy Boa's ten gallon aquarium. Aside from the broken foot I got, I also had 50+ lacerations to my backside... the doctor's response... "keep off the foot, a cast won't help, and all that glass will "work its way out eventually". So for six months I was picking shards of glass out of my butt and walking funny!

My rats are in wire cages, my mice are in cat litter pan bins on a rack. If/when I have an overflow of mice I use a few spare ten gallons, but that is always a "last resort"

Old 07-05-2004, 09:50 AM   #13
Sasheena
PS... the Rosy Boa survived the ordeal too! He was my FIRST concern and once I knew he was fine, I worried about the blood I was dripping from my posterior!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google