CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

what do you feed your mice?

Old 07-10-2004, 04:45 AM   #11
Taceas
I'm with Magick-bears on this one.

I only feed my mice lab blocks formulated for mice/rats. It costs me $12 per 50lb bag and that lasts my 3 colonies for 4-6 months. I get mine through the professional rodent breeder where I got my starter mouse colony from, which he obtains from a feed mill in Kentucky that custom blends it. I've had nothing but success from it and usually have 13-20 kits per litter.

When I first started out I thought that the cutsey seed diets I see would be good, variety is the spice of life eh? But what I ended up with was mice that were fat, lazy, and never bred. Seeds are primarily fat, hence why most bird breeders suggest you get birds on a pelleted diet. Fortified seeds doesn't do any good either, they spray the vitamins/minerals on the shell and thats what most animals don't eat. Once I got them on the lab block diet, wow, what a difference.

If I'm in a pinch and I don't have any lab blocks, I'll break down and use my dogs food, Nutros Large Breed Adult. It's pretty much all natural, and it's expensive as all heck. But it keeps my dog healthy as a fiddle so why not my mice eh.

Old 07-10-2004, 04:21 PM   #12
Sean22
Quote:
Originally Posted by magick-bears
Sean, where are you located? You can get lab blocks from almost any feed/grain store. I live in southern California and use Ace Hi (High Fat) milled by Star Milling. If you live on the east coast Agway has their RMH line. I believe that RHM1000 is the one I used for mice but it has been 5 years now so I might have the number wrong. I used RMH exclusively for 10 years. I have also used and can recommend Mazuri Rodent Breeder, though this one is much more expensive. If you are production breeding I would suggest using the Rodent Breeder 11F. Lastly, is Purina Mills Lab Diet 5015 Mouse Diet.

I have personally used all of the above diets with good results. There is one other one I can suggest. I have never used this one myself but know breeders that do. It is Harlan Teklad Global Rodent Diet. For producing mice I would go with the 19% Protein diet. This is produced by Harlan one of the largest and best known Lab Animal breeding facilities in the world.

Hope this helps,
Jeff C.
i live in schaumburg,illinois about 30 min from chicago
can someone tell me where i could find a place to get lab blocks
or a site i could order from?

-sean

Old 07-10-2004, 07:33 PM   #13
magick-bears
Well I don't know any spacific places there. I am sure that if you look in your yellow pages under Feed stores or Grain Stores you should be able to find at least a few listings. Then just call them up and ask them if they carry rat/mouse lab blocks and if not can they order it. As for ordering online you can check out http://www.mazuri.com/ and http://www.harlan.com/news/frame-cli....com/index.htm however, be prepaired for very expensive shipping charges.

Jeff C.

Old 07-16-2004, 01:07 PM   #14
Missy
ooh, do you all breed the mice then freeze them. i always alwys have bought mine from a expert snake breeder who has his own shop and thats where i get everything i need from. i normally but like 20 or something mice at a time, then put them straight in our freezer, then just thaw out however many i need. dont think i could ver have live mice in the house.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google