• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

This is Mona

Nina, someone else in Ontario (different city though) just posted a baby identical to yours in a Facebook group, that they were sold as a corn. Consensus there was black or yellow rat.

*edit to add, did you buy your snake from petsmart per chance?

Yes my son bought it from Petsmart and it was sold as a corn. After looking at many pics, I'm sure she is probably a grey rat or possibly yellow. I won't really know until she grows a bit more into her colours because I know they look totally different as babies. Now I'm thinking that they just label all rat snakes here as corns at Petsmart which is irritating. The next one that I get will definitely not be bought from there.

yeah. Sounds like the supplier sent the wrong species to all the stores. Other person is on the eastern side of the province. They have to sell them labeled as what they arrived as for inventory purposes.

That is extremely rude. Middle 2 are corns. Baby on the bottom lacks head pattern the way many non corn north American rat snakes do.
Because op said there is yellow, and because of the extra peaks, that plus the lack of head pattern points more towards a baby yellow rat snake

LOL, you accuse me of being rude???

I find it extremely rude for somebody such as yourself to tell a young lady the "Corn Snake she bought" is not a corn snake, with no proof what so ever.

She bought a snake at a store. The snake was Advertised as a Corn snake. She paid for a snake she thought was a corn snake. She posted a picture of the snake, that is not at all very good quality. And you come along and tell her it's a Grey Rat snake.

Why not let the young lady "Have a Corn Snake" for crying out loud?

I'll admit it looks similar to a grey rat snake, but it also looks like a corn snake. Some of the patterns and morphs look very similar, as the 4 photos I posted all look similar to her snake too. I have no idea what it is, but neither do you!

As far as I'm concerned, it's a corn snake until somebody "proves" otherwise. And you certainly have proved nothing here, but to be extremely rude yourself.

Lying to someone is more rude than telling them the truth. I never admonished her, just informed her that it did not appear to be a corn. It lacks a head pattern. This is NOT a corn snake trait. The saddle shape is not a corn snake trait. Another person in the same province bought a snake from the same chain as a corn that is also clearly not a corn. It happens. Doesn't mean the snake is any less loved. When it matures and clearly isn't a corn would you insist on still lying because the op wanted a corn? A yellow rat needs somewhat different husbandry and they get larger. These are important things to know in order to provide optimal care for a beloved pet. And it is beloved. I provided a graphic and detailed exactly why the op's snake does not match a corn. Plus I have the other person, again in the same province, again from the same chain, who has a snake identical to the op's but with clearer pictures.

Nina. In order to put this to rest would you please get an up close picture of the top of the head of your snake, the eyes, and the markings on the neck?

but it's not a "Lie" unless somebody can can prove it is!

Just because you say it's not a corn does not make it so. Who are you to say that? Lot's of corn snakes don't have specific markings. They don't always look the way "You" say they should look.

You could look at a thousand different corn snakes, and you'd be lucky to find 2 alike. Any reasonable person should understand that, especially these days with so many breeders, and almost a new morph or pattern emerging every day.

Karl - maybe you have to go to the optician to check your glasses
as you can see at the pictures the head is different to a corn's head - but if you do better with this I would call it not a pure corn, maybe an hybrid - otherwhise - which CORN do not have hybrid blood in the US ??? ;)
Maybe you have to go down from your high horse too and check the pictures again and be honest to yourself ;)

to many maybe's but for me its a very beautyful (hybrid)ratsnake not a pure corn
and I think everyone here in this forum speaks for himself, not that that snake MUST be this or this... ;)

I am so sorry for causing problems. I never meant for that to happen and I really feel bad about it. I'm not a great photographer and it's hard to get a pic of a wriggly baby so I took these three pics of her in her tub at feeding time. Again, they aren't great pics but hopefully you can see her better in these.

IMG_0426_1_zpst2wzavic.jpg

IMG_0425_zpsvydqmz0a.jpg

IMG_0424_zpsogueow4w.jpg

I put some pictures on of my 2 corns
But got a very rude comment of Karl so I haven’t put any on since
Don’t worry about upsetting people most people on this site are lovely and will help as much as they can
Just enjoy your new baby
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put some pictures on of my 2 corns
But got a very rude comment of Karl so I haven’t put any on since
Don’t worry about upsetting people most people on this site are lovely and will help as much as they can
Just enjoy your new baby
Pat

You got a very rude comment from me because you posted your pictures of "Your Corn snake" on "MY Corn Snake's Page." Feel free to post all you want on your own page, and on other people's too if they allow it. But I'd prefer my snake's page to not be cluttered up with other people's posts. Perhaps if you'd take the time to learn "Forum Etiquette" you'd understand that.

I am so sorry for causing problems. I never meant for that to happen and I really feel bad about it. I'm not a great photographer and it's hard to get a pic of a wriggly baby............

You didn't cause any problems what so ever. The rude folks trying to tell you your corn snake was not a corn snake are the ones that did that. After seeing your new pictures, I still say you have a corn snake.

the eyes are yellow. The head pattern is absent. The whole snake is turning yellow but has dark pigment and it's not a caramel. It's not a sunkissed. It's not a masque. It's not a diffused. It's not a stripe.
This snake checks a bunch of boxes for not a corn snake. Karl, why don't you tel is what morph you think this snake is and why say corn despite the yellow eyes, yellow body, and absent head pattern? Because I'm at least explaining why I think it's a yellow rat snake with traits rather than "a pet store sold it as a corn"

Nina, I'm sorry this thread has devolved this. I hope you can see the traits I'm pointing to for why this baby appears to be a yellow rat snake rather than a corn did you can take the necessary husbandry differences into account. He's a gorgeous little noodle and you'll have a fun couple decades with him. I enjoyed my yellow rat immensely.

I'm just hoping that she mellows out as she gets older. She's still very skittish and doesn't like being handled and when she's in her feeding tub she turns into the basilisk from Harry Potter lol. Please tell me they calm down and that I will be able to enjoy her instead of her wanting to eat my face :p

Many babies are like that because in the wild everything wants to eat them. Regular, calm handling should cause her to improve as she gets older. My blind old man was quite sweet once he realized who i was but if I startled him... hooowheee was that fun. You might also leave an article of worn clothing in the cage so the snake becomes used to your scent in the environment.

Karl all I’m saying is there is no need to be rude you could have sad it in a different way

You stated you posted pictures on this forum and I made rude comments about it. You left out 1 important part..... "The Truth."

You failed to state that I made the rude comments because you posted the pictures on "My Page."

Did (Does) the thought not occur to you that if you post pics on your page and not mine, then maybe I would not have made those comments?

I happen to find what you did to be very rude as well.

If you're going to run around this web forum "Bad Mouthing me and making rude comments about me" at least have the gall to tell "Your Part" in it as well.

I'm just hoping that she mellows out as she gets older. She's still very skittish and doesn't like being handled and when she's in her feeding tub she turns into the basilisk from Harry Potter lol. Please tell me they calm down and that I will be able to enjoy her instead of her wanting to eat my face :p

Hi I’ve got 2 corns George and zusee is the girl I’ve had her about six months now and she is still shy
I had her when she was about 11 months old
George we had him at 9 weeks old he was shy at first but now at just over a year old he liked been held
Just give her time
Pat

As a morph breakdown for further evidence against a corn, we can immediately rule out many things. It's not an amel because it has black pigment. It's not a lavender because it's yellow. It's not an anery because the eyes are yellow. It's not a sunkissed; saddle shape is wrong plus thee head pattern wouldn't be absent, just modified. It's not diffused as the lateral patterning is completely intact. It's clearly not a motley or stripe because there's no modification to the dorsal patterning. It's not a single gene lava or dilute it hypo or ultra or ultramel. If it's a corn though some sort of hypo would definitely be at play as the snake is gray rather than black. Can't be ultramel anery to explain the excess yellow because the yellow is diffusely over the snake, plus the eyes are yellow. It's not a single gene caramel but it looks nothing like any amber or golddust I've ever seen anywhere.

We have a snake with yellow eyes, no head pattern but also no morphs that can modify a head pattern to such a degree, a gray snake with an even yellow wash to the whole body rather than concentrated like in corns, plus the deeply scalloped saddle edges mostly seen in non corns but especially in yellow rat snakes. Yellow rat snakes which lack head patterns, have yellow eyes, scalloped saddle edges, and start out a grayish color and turn yellow as they move from hatchling to juvenile.

So I have just got off the phone with Petsmart about this whole matter. The lady told me they don't ever carry rat snakes and neither does their vendor blah blah blah,that they sold my son a corn snake. I told her about all the pics that I have taken, discussions with people on the forum, pics that I have seen on the internet, the shape of her head, the pattern on her body etc. all leading to the fact that it is a yellow rat snake. She said that was impossible because they never carry rat snakes so I said well then your vendor is messing you about and selling you the wrong snakes.

She took my number, said she would talk with her vendor and head office etc. So she called me back and still insisted I didn't know what I was talking about and that I have a corn snake because that's what it was labeled as. I said okay so if it's a turtle but labeled as a salamander then you sell it as a salamander even though we all know it's a turtle? There's nothing I can do about this because it's past the 14 day return policy for animals. I even told her that I am not the only one this has happened to here in Ontario.

I asked her if this rat snake came out of the air since they are telling me they didn't sell it to my son even though I have the receipt right here grrrr. They don't care that they sold the wrong thing and I'm just the insane lady on the phone talking about fake unicorns.

Back