CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

View Poll Results: Which company do you buy from?
Rodent Pro 11 25.58%
The Big Cheese 13 30.23%
The Mouse Factory 5 11.63%
Other 14 32.56%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Which company do you buy F/T Mice or Rats from?

Old 03-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #11
carol
I've ordered from all three before. In the past I have gotten some bad product from Rodent Pro. The mice were very smelly, dirty, not uniform in size, and bagged poorly. Due to an amazing recent sale, and after hearing rumors they were getting better, I decided to try them again. The mice were much cleaner this time and were satisfactory. However, I don't care for their packaging.
The Big Cheese is probably who I order from the most. In the quantities that I order their prices are very similar to Rodent Pro. The service and packaging of the mice are much better. I can probably fit twice the mice in my freezer with BCRF's packaging than I can with Rodent Pro's. Which is nice for those of you who share a freezer with your snakes, the neat packaging leaves more room for the ice cream and they slip easy into plastic grocery bags for camoflauge if you have guest over with a mouse problem.
The Mouse Factory has fantastic service and thier mice are the cleanest around. When I had less snakes I was willing to pay a little extra for their superior product. However, now that my collection has grown I can't afford the luxury. They aren't that much more expensive, but when you order 700 mice it starts to make a big difference. I do miss being able to go through feeding day without gagging from mouse smell, but you do what you got to do. The Mouse Facotry rodents hardly had any smell to them.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #12
SevierSerpents
Started with RodentPro and got tired of fishing through air filled bags of half/broken rats, along with substrate and who knows what else. Good prices, lower quality. Not to mention, almost every time we went to order from them, they were out of something or another (and usually it was many others). This just doens't suffice when we need feeders consistantly and at once. Then we tried Cajun Mice and after an astonishing ordeal, have vowed to NEVER buy from nor even support them again. Gave The Mouse Factory a try and they've been our steady supplier ever since (in fact, just made another order today). Outstanding sizes, good prices, and simply courteous service. Both Edna and Monica are great to deal with. In my opinion (based on years of a professional corporate environment) one thing that is highly overlooked when you are a consumer, is the fact that part of what you pay for INCLUDES customer service. I pay for it, I expect to get it. Any company with the slightest sense of business intelligence knows this. TMF has customer service, and gives customer service, along with a good product. They've earned our business.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
xavusangel
Thanks so much for all the replies, this is really helping me out and im sure it will help future new comers as well.This is going to be my first time ordering my mice thats why i wanted everyones opinion on what they liked. I think im gonna try The Mouse Factory and see how that goes.... anyone else who has a opinion it is very important and keep them coming...thanks again

Old 03-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
Hurley
I've recently been getting rodents from Rodent Pro since local suppliers have gone up to 40 cents per pink (vs. 17 cents or less). I liked getting mice and rats from American Rodent. Their product was good, but has just gotten too expensive, even with having to pay shipping now.

Rodent Pro does have their feeders frozen individually and then put in a ziplock type bag, rather than vacuum-sealed. For me, who is sorting through for certain sized pinks for the hatchlings, this is actually preferable. Broken feet and tails don't bother me since they contribute very little to the nutritional content of the pinks. We use them up fast enough to not worry about freezer burn much unless a bag isn't sealed with the air squeezed out. The product has been very clean with very little smell to it. I, too, have heard the rumors from before, but I am just relating my experiences from the last couple orders since I've switched to internet ordering. I have been very pleased. Their packing for shipping has been great as well.

Another HUGE advantage I like when ordering from Rodent Pro is the multiple sized pinks. They have small, medium, and large pinks, plus peach fuzzies and fuzzies. 5 size separations vs. 2 or 3 is very attractive to me.

Cons of ordering from them are the delay in shipping from ordering (usually a week), but I order in advance, so it's not a problem. I'm not about to wait to the last minute and have no feeders, that would be silly. The ziplock bags vs. vacuum bags are a pro or con, depending on your view.

The quality has been excellent in the our orders. Nice, fat, healthy feeders, pinks with big milk bands, no bedding, no smell, no animals that were dead prior to euthanizing. The prices are also good. Looking at the other places, who charge 6+ cents per pink more, that starts to add up for us. I have not (yet) encountered them not being able to supply an order, but that's usually a matter or when, not if. I also like the layout of their website and the way boxes are calculated. It allows me to pack the box(es) full for efficiency.

I have ordered from Big Cheese in the past as well as the Mouse Factory. Both were great to deal with and had nice product. For the larger items, like rats, I very much enjoyed the vacuum sealed bags with them all aligned on a tray. The reasons I don't use these two currently are prices and I like the 5 sizes of pinks/fuzzies that I get with Rodent Pro.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #15
PnyKlr
This is a fantastic thread! As a first-time online purchaser, half of the owrk has been done for me when I need to decide which company to go with. I appreciate all of your responses, and thank you Xavusangel, for getting this started!

Old 03-08-2006, 12:53 PM   #16
Serpwidgets
I've gotten stuff from Mice On Ice, Cajun Mice, American Rodent, and Rodent Pro. I don't really notice the packaging, broken pinky legs/tails or freezer burn (some of the snakes go crazy for them anyway) and I don't think I've gotten too many that have smelled bad, except at a local pet shop. They've all been "the same" on those factors as far as I was concerned, but again, I don't really pay attention to those things.

The biggest factors for me are whether or not the pinks and fuzzies have good milk bands, the price, and whether or not the fuzzies are 20 times bigger than the pinkies. I do like that Rodent Pro has good milk bands, lower prices, much more of a smooth spectrum of sizes, and that they have chickens and quail. The quail make a nice alternative to weanling/adult mice.

I just wish someone would sell feeder anoles, too.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #17
xavusangel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnyKlr
This is a fantastic thread! As a first-time online purchaser, half of the owrk has been done for me when I need to decide which company to go with. I appreciate all of your responses, and thank you Xavusangel, for getting this started!
Your Welcome

SerpWidgets
I dont know what you mean by Milk Bands can you please explain? Thanks a bunch

Old 03-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #18
Serpwidgets
If they are well-fed by the mother, there is a white area on their belly that is visible. The milk adds extra nutrition to the meal.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #19
BeckyG
I too have ordered from all three. I've only ordered from Rodent Pro once, and vowed never to do that again. I had to wait TWO weeks for my order, and when I finally got it, I was very disappointed in the quality. The mice varied greatly in size. I ordered fuzzies, and the mice in the bag varied from tiny--almost pinky size--to what looked to be nearly adult sized mice. Also, they were packaged in ziploc bags, and one of the bags was torn in two places. There were bits of bedding and feces in both packages, and about half the mice in one package were frozen together in one large block of a yellowish liquid that smelled suspiciously of urine.

The Mouse Factory and Big Cheese mice were both of fantastic quality, very clean and vacuum packed. They arrived days after placing the order, and the vacuum sealed bags made for much neater packaging. Not to mention that I can order mice for several months ahead of time. The only difference I see between these two is the pricing. Big Cheese are a bit cheaper than Mouse Factory, but I would order from either company again.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #20
colinmcc
A place in Meadonbank, Edinburgh.

Might be a bit far to go for most of you guys.

They're local, I've bought and sold snakes there and their stock is always good quality. (Although sizes can be a bit variable but my big male is going to LOVE the jumbo's I picked up last week )

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google