• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Does Bedding Matter for Feeders?

Lore

Insert Witty Phrase Here
Just as the Title seys.

I plan to purchase a few females and a male mouse today to generate a little extra food for the hatchlings I have, also I think the mice will be fun for the kids to watch.

I am wondering with the offspring of these mice being frozen and later used for food for my snakes, will it matter what type of bedding they live in? I know the Cedar Bedding can control their odors better and that, there is also the Pine with Chlorphyl, I have aspen of course and could just use that, but I figured for smells sake, can I use the other stuff with it not harming the snake that eats it.

Maybe this is a lame concern and question... but I figured better off asking than not and regretting it. :cheers:

I don't see pine as a big deal like some do, but definitely stay away from the cedar.

I use pine for my feeders. It is definitely not the best thing for their respiratory systems IF they are going to be kept on it long term. The thing is...since these are feeders...they typically aren't on the pine for very long. My other rodents (non-feeders) are on aspen.

If you plan to breed the mice on a long term (more than once or twice) I would use Apsen. Using cedar will cause you to have to replace your breeders often, and pine is not as bad as the cedar, but has the same effect over a longer period of time. I would use aspen if you plan on keeping your breeding stock for their whole lives. I know that the cedar and pine causes a respiratory condition, and I'm not sure how nutritious feeders from ill mice would be.

Thank You All for the info. I plan to use Aspen, because I do plan to keep the mice for as long as they are able to breed for me.

I picked out 4 females and 2 males, I got a great looking group too :rolleyes: I'll post pictures in its own thread.

SilentLore said:
Thank You All for the info. I plan to use Aspen, because I do plan to keep the mice for as long as they are able to breed for me.

I picked out 4 females and 2 males, I got a great looking group too :rolleyes: I'll post pictures in its own thread.
One tip that might help with the smell is to mix some kind of hay with the aspen. They love to make nests out of it, and it cuts down on the smell. Occasionally they will even chew on it. You can use the hay you would buy for rabbits and guinea pigs. And...if you are allergic to hay like I am, you can use rabbit food pellets. They are just pelleted alfalfa hay anyway. Also you can put a few teaspoons of baking soda in the bottom of the cage to help with the smell too. Hope that helps!

Daeraelle said:
If you plan to breed the mice on a long term (more than once or twice) I would use Apsen. Using cedar will cause you to have to replace your breeders often, and pine is not as bad as the cedar, but has the same effect over a longer period of time. I would use aspen if you plan on keeping your breeding stock for their whole lives. I know that the cedar and pine causes a respiratory condition, and I'm not sure how nutritious feeders from ill mice would be.
I have been keeping my mice on pine for several years and have NEVER had any respiratory issues.

If the mice are kept for as long as they are able to breed, that still isn't very long. Breeding takes a lot out of the female and typically they don't live as long as one that is a pet. It is best to rotate stock every 6 months or so.

A word of advice...mice smell REALLY bad. You are going to have to clean their tank every couple of days or so in order to keep the smell down...if you keep them on aspen.

CornCrazy said:
I have been keeping my mice on pine for several years and have NEVER had any respiratory issues.

If the mice are kept for as long as they are able to breed, that still isn't very long. Breeding takes a lot out of the female and typically they don't live as long as one that is a pet. It is best to rotate stock every 6 months or so.

A word of advice...mice smell REALLY bad. You are going to have to clean their tank every couple of days or so in order to keep the smell down...if you keep them on aspen.

Ya, I'm finding that out already this morning :eek1: :puke01:

I use corn cob for my feeders, I never see many people talk about it but it keeps the smell down and you can go longer between bedding changes. My roommate got me started on it, she uses it for her guinea pig (pee factory) and it really helps with the smell. A big bag will run you $3 at wal-mart. If you want your breeders to have some nesting material you can mix a little aspen or hay in with it. :cheers:

catsapp said:
I use corn cob for my feeders, I never see many people talk about it but it keeps the smell down and you can go longer between bedding changes. My roommate got me started on it, she uses it for her guinea pig (pee factory) and it really helps with the smell. A big bag will run you $3 at wal-mart. If you want your breeders to have some nesting material you can mix a little aspen or hay in with it. :cheers:

Thanks that's a great idea. I'll pick up some corn cob at wal-mart today and mix in some aspen. :cheers:

having 2 males in one tank increases the smell a LOT as well. The males are the ones that smell and 2 males in one tank fighting for dominance tend to mark a lot more.

Be careful with corn cob bedding. It may work, but I've heard that it can cause impaction if the mice eat it. Think of it this way. What are mice known to eat, besides cheese:rolleyes:,....corn! if they eat that bedding, I'm not too sure it would be good for them. Also, I've heard that it gets moldy fast. I actually use a product call SoftSorb and its awesome when mixed with baking soda and rabbit food pellets. It is a bit more expensive than aspen, but I hardly have any smell issues with it. I'd check it out if I were you. Its just one of those things. If you had a huge rack full of mice, it could get expensive, but if you only have 2 groups, then its great.

Bobo's Mama said:
Be careful with corn cob bedding. It may work, but I've heard that it can cause impaction if the mice eat it. Think of it this way. What are mice known to eat, besides cheese:rolleyes:,....corn! if they eat that bedding, I'm not too sure it would be good for them. Also, I've heard that it gets moldy fast. I actually use a product call SoftSorb and its awesome when mixed with baking soda and rabbit food pellets. It is a bit more expensive than aspen, but I hardly have any smell issues with it. I'd check it out if I were you. Its just one of those things. If you had a huge rack full of mice, it could get expensive, but if you only have 2 groups, then its great.

:cheers: Thank you for the info, that sounds great :wavey:

CornCrazy said:

I went to pick up bedding today and took your advise and went ahead an purchased Pine for my breeders and use someone elses advise and bought some hay I will mix these 2 tomorrow when I clean the tank (yes it smells THAT bad already) Hopefully this will work out well.

Back