CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

What can I feed my Corn Snake?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
GlitterFlame89
Smile What can I feed my Corn Snake?

I have a little baby corn snake, about 9 or 10" long now. I am feeding him pinky mice right now. What I want to know is, is there anything else I can feed him to liven up his diet a little, maybe once a month or every two months or something just for variety? Someone suggested feeder fish, but I wasn't sure if corns can eat fish or not. I have also heard baby chicks, but I really don't want to do that. I have also heard chicken eggs. (When he's bigger of course, not now) Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
MerlinsPop
Some people do vary things up, most folks stick with mice. Mice are pretty nutritionally complete, plus, when you offer something else, you run a risk (however slight) that your snake will decide to start refusing mice.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
Velvet
Personally, I don't believe in feeding corns anything other than mice or other rodents (except for anole lizards but they are so expensive here its not worthwhile). Corns don't "get tired" of food, this is a human emotion. Your snakeling will be perfectly happy, healthy and content eating mice for the rest of his life.

I have heard some feed feeder fish but fish are so prone to parasites and other diseases, I would not risk the health of your corn.

When he's bigger you could feed him an appropriate sized rat every now and then! lol

Old 01-22-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
mpharris1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Personally, I don't believe in feeding corns anything other than mice or other rodents (except for anole lizards but they are so expensive here its not worthwhile). Corns don't "get tired" of food, this is a human emotion. Your snakeling will be perfectly happy, healthy and content eating mice for the rest of his life.

I have heard some feed feeder fish but fish are so prone to parasites and other diseases, I would not risk the health of your corn.

When he's bigger you could feed him an appropriate sized rat every now and then! lol
hmmm, i can catch anole lizards outside do you think it would still be safe feeding the wild ones?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:23 AM   #5
ghosthousecorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpharris1989 View Post
hmmm, i can catch anole lizards outside do you think it would still be safe feeding the wild ones?
If you do you should freeze them first, they will have parasites that can harm your snake. You also run the risk the snake will acquire a taste for anoles and no longer take the mice as willingly. I only use lizards as a last resort if the snake refuses to eat anything else.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:26 AM   #6
Velvet
Ummm...I would be worried about parasites...lol But then, I tend to be over-cautious...

Old 01-22-2008, 02:26 AM   #7
mpharris1989
alright thanks

ya i just thought it was pretty interesting since they're everywhere here

Old 01-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
starsevol
With wild caught anoles, it's not just parasites you need to be afraid of. Fertilizer, weed killer and bug killer...not to mention pool chemicals "might" build up in an anoles system and hurt your snake.

I just wouldn't...

Old 01-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
wade
This seems obvoius to that point of over looking it, but have you considered corn? I know it is a starchy diet and you can't use it as a staple but just for that special once in a while treat I think that's the ticket.

For a snake as small as yours, you would want to use creamed corn and not whole kernal. When they are older, I love to watch them eat pop corn (unpopped of course). It really makes them lively.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
Mr.AJ
I'm surprised no ones picked up on the egg's... Can Corn snakes actually EAT eggs?. From what limited research i did into egg eating snakes, they eat eggs by swallowing them part of the way and they have 'teeth-like' outcrops along their back which rips open the egg, they swallow whats inside then regurgitate the shell.

Would a corn be able to do this?

Would they even recognise the egg as food?.

Seems a little.. odd to me.

But then again what do i know eh?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google