CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

My corn snake Ruby kills Adult male mouse.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #61
danielle
That was Erica, not Emily And yes Beth you are right

Old 09-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #62
starsevol
I *think* her name is Emily and her cornsnake is Erica...but you know I can't be right allll the time!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #63
ClickClickClickBOOM!
I'm not sure what to say that other people haven't said already. I am new here, and to owning snakes but I am a strong believer in feeding F/T not only because of the harm it could cause my snake in the future but also the unneeded suffering it causes what ever animal you feed it.((I own pets rats and a pet mouse btw and can assure you Jasper the mouse is never on the menu)) In my opinion as in many others, you are sick to enjoy hearing/seeing something scream as it slowly dies in total and absolute pain. I am switching my previously fed live Benji to F/T even when the people I got him from told me I would have to force feed him to do so ((I have fed F/T and DON'T have to force feed him, they where idiots -_-)) anyway I just wanted to tell everyone else that I'm glad this isn't a site of depraved lunatics. I was really worried that all/a lot of you would be into feeding live because it's "cool". Thank the stars for small miracles.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #64
danielle
Maybe your right Beth I'm a little slow in the morning

Old 09-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #65
MedusaCorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
Okay, so I just stumbled across this thread...and have a few things to say

1. Feeding live is not "sick." I think its amazing to watch a snake attack and kill an anole the way it would in the wild. Its enjoyable.

2. I love to hunt. I enjoy killing deer, it makes me happy. It also makes MANY other people happy. This is no different from feeding your snakes live food (besides it being dangerous)

3. I couldn't watch the video, but from what everyone is saying...he just fed his snake live and liked it. So...? Whats the big deal? Its just a mouse. They are just...mice. Not seeing what the big deal is between you killing them and the snake killing them (besides danger to your snake.)

4. I feed live anoles for a few reasons. One is because I enjoy giving my snakes something "different" now and then. Two is because I breed anoles. I freeze some, I feed fresh ones live. It gives my snake exersize, something to hunt, and a challenge. Its just a lizzard.

Anyway, not looking to get flamed...just pointing these things out and putting in my two cents.

Well to me, your just a person. My love for animals is endless, though I hunt too and understand the pet vs feed quote. I raise and show mice only to turn around, smack some and hand them to my other babies

People on the other hand.... "people" ~~~ drop me off in some remote forest be rid of them forever.. Man I was born in the wrong era.. As a Queen I would enjoy to see some dangle while I sip my tea.. Maybe put on the rack and slowly torn apart.. Yet even when I think of the guillotine that is just to much of a fast death for me.. I mean, they are just people.... The world is over run with them.. Just like mice all they do is eat, sh** and sleep.

The one delight to be a "people" is that we can determine right from wrong, what we can do in our lives to make it better as well as the things we own "snakes" Our pets no longer live in the wild and it can be dangerous for a mouse to give a serious bite to our beloved pet. Infections can occur, or some sort of skin disease might happen. What if it just happens to be the snakes eye? Things like that happen. Why "if they are pets" should the snake have scares? I'd rather see a nice clean smooth set of scales. It's fine in the wild and where it should be observed. I don't like my snakes flinging their head around because they are use to live when I go to reach for them. "My adult amel was like that for the longest time till he realized it doesn't move anymore why get so uppity"

Yes, it's fun to see them do what they where made to do just as it's great to see the sporting dogs work the field. Yet I don't have to worry about the birds clamping on the dogs or defending themselves while the dog is on point. A turkey is another story and I won't go there on this tread

If your so new here then you "I think" would have already read most of the posts and know most how the breeders feel. Why make yourself known with something you know would get the tread heated????? If you want to be sadistic, don't get a hard on by watching your snake. Go poke some ants or HEY get a magnifying glass and watch em run.. Slugs twitch too but they twitch more with salt

Some people worry me when they look for attention..

Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #66
medusacoils
You have issues!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
Okay, so I just stumbled across this thread...and have a few things to say

1. Feeding live is not "sick." I think its amazing to watch a snake attack and kill an anole the way it would in the wild. Its enjoyable.
You think it amazing to watch a snake kill a mouse or an anole. That is sick and sadistic! I don't know how any sane person, could take pleasure in watching the slow death of an animal? That just befuddles me!

Quote:
2. I love to hunt. I enjoy killing deer, it makes me happy. It also makes MANY other people happy. This is no different from feeding your snakes live food (besides it being dangerous)
I'm an avid hunter as well and I can honestly say that the one part of hunting, I don't enjoy, is the killing. I enjoy the nature, that I am in. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I enjoy seeing the animals, I do not take. I enjoy the company of my friends and family.

Killing a dear, a bird or whatever it is, is the one thing I do not enjoy. That is a life. I take a life to provide my family and myself with food. To do my part in controlling the population of a species.

Every person I hunt with and have hunted with, have felt the same way. I don't think I would want to experience a person, that takes thrill in the "killing" aspect of the sport.

Quote:
3. I couldn't watch the video, but from what everyone is saying...he just fed his snake live and liked it. So...? Whats the big deal? Its just a mouse. They are just...mice. Not seeing what the big deal is between you killing them and the snake killing them (besides danger to your snake.)
Yes, it's just a mouse. Did you forget, that it's also a life? When you go hunting, do you shoot a deer in the legs, so it dies slowly? OR, do you try to make the most ethical shot you can, to diminish the suffering of the animal, and cause it to expire quickly.

When I kill the feeders I have. I use the most ethical method available to me, to diminish the suffering of the feeder. When a snake kills an animal. In some cases, it can take up to fifteen minutes for the animal to expire. That's fifteen minutes of unnecessary suffering, forced upon an animal that could have been euthanized, humanly and still eaten by the snake.

Quote:
4. I feed live anoles for a few reasons. One is because I enjoy giving my snakes something "different" now and then. Two is because I breed anoles. I freeze some, I feed fresh ones live. It gives my snake exersize, something to hunt, and a challenge. Its just a lizzard.
My wife and I breed rodents. Lots of rodents! A lot of different types of rodents, as well. We sell some as pets. We show some. We sell some as food. We feed them to the members of our snake collection. We freeze them.

The difference between what you do and what we do is, I take the time to minimize the unnecessary suffering of the animals, that I use as feeders. I believe I owe that to them.

And if your worried about your snake, getting exercise. Then take it out of it's enclosure once in a while and handle it. I guarantee, that that's more exercise then chasing a mouse around a little enclosure!

Quote:
Anyway, not looking to get flamed...just pointing these things out and putting in my two cents.
You have issues!! You are obviously aware that what you are doing is wrong. People like you, with your sadistic, smug attitudes are what give the credible members of this industry, a bad name. You knowingly force unnecessary suffering, on the animals that you feed. You endanger the lives of your snakes. And, the part that really bothers me, is that you take pleasure in it. I'm sickened by this!

There is a big difference in feeding a snake live, because it won't take anything else and feeding a humanly euthanised rodent or lizard.

I also, don't want to hear the "in the wild" argument. That doesn't make sense in this situation! Your snakes are not in the wild. They are captive specimens. They are kept in tubs or tanks, live in plastic or paper houses and crap on newspaper or some other prepared substrate. Does that sound natural to you? As captive specimens, they have the opportunity to eat a meal, prepared for them, be kept in a safe and secure manner and treated with respect. If you can't do that, then you are in the wrong business!

JMO!

Wayne

Old 09-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #67
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusacoils View Post
You have issues!!

You think it amazing to watch a snake kill a mouse or an anole. That is sick and sadistic! I don't know how any sane person, could take pleasure in watching the slow death of an animal? That just befuddles me!

I'm an avid hunter as well and I can honestly say that the one part of hunting, I don't enjoy, is the killing. I enjoy the nature, that I am in. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I enjoy seeing the animals, I do not take. I enjoy the company of my friends and family.

Killing a dear, a bird or whatever it is, is the one thing I do not enjoy. That is a life. I take a life to provide my family and myself with food. To do my part in controlling the population of a species.

Every person I hunt with and have hunted with, have felt the same way. I don't think I would want to experience a person, that takes thrill in the "killing" aspect of the sport.

Yes, it's just a mouse. Did you forget, that it's also a life? When you go hunting, do you shoot a deer in the legs, so it dies slowly? OR, do you try to make the most ethical shot you can, to diminish the suffering of the animal, and cause it to expire quickly.

When I kill the feeders I have. I use the most ethical method available to me, to diminish the suffering of the feeder. When a snake kills an animal. In some cases, it can take up to fifteen minutes for the animal to expire. That's fifteen minutes of unnecessary suffering, forced upon an animal that could have been euthanized, humanly and still eaten by the snake.

My wife and I breed rodents. Lots of rodents! A lot of different types of rodents, as well. We sell some as pets. We show some. We sell some as food. We feed them to the members of our snake collection. We freeze them.

The difference between what you do and what we do is, I take the time to minimize the unnecessary suffering of the animals, that I use as feeders. I believe I owe that to them.

And if your worried about your snake, getting exercise. Then take it out of it's enclosure once in a while and handle it. I guarantee, that that's more exercise then chasing a mouse around a little enclosure!

You have issues!! You are obviously aware that what you are doing is wrong. People like you, with your sadistic, smug attitudes are what give the credible members of this industry, a bad name. You knowingly force unnecessary suffering, on the animals that you feed. You endanger the lives of your snakes. And, the part that really bothers me, is that you take pleasure in it. I'm sickened by this!

There is a big difference in feeding a snake live, because it won't take anything else and feeding a humanly euthanised rodent or lizard.

I also, don't want to hear the "in the wild" argument. That doesn't make sense in this situation! Your snakes are not in the wild. They are captive specimens. They are kept in tubs or tanks, live in plastic or paper houses and crap on newspaper or some other prepared substrate. Does that sound natural to you? As captive specimens, they have the opportunity to eat a meal, prepared for them, be kept in a safe and secure manner and treated with respect. If you can't do that, then you are in the wrong business!

JMO!

Wayne
Couldn't have said it better myself. Love you, Wayne!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #68
COerriccaRN
Oh, no please! I don't have issues or anything like that! I do not "enjoy" seeing the mouse die, I do enjoy watching my snake eat though!! Its cool to me, IDK. It doesn't really "bother" me to feed live, but I guess thats just the pure country girl in me. I do not ENJOY inflicting pain on animals! Ever! But, feeding live does not "bother". Which is not bad or terrible!

Just opinion...

I'm really sorry about saying all that, but it sounded worse than what it meant! I would never put a mouse into a cage and laugh at it being eaten, ever. Really.

Plus, I didn't actually WATCH the video, and what the guy did was really messed up...I wouldn't do that or agree with that.

But I am NOT an animal rights activist/humanitarian. At all. I am a country girl. We have killed cows we had named so we could eat them. We have raised a pig from a baby, let it run around in the yard, and ended up making bacon from her.

Stuff like that doesn't, and never will, bother me.

That video was a little...weird though. It did bother me a bit. I WOULD NEVER DO THAT! I don't wanna give the wrong impression or have people start to not like me!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #69
COerriccaRN

OKAY, listen I am NOT SADISTIC. Please don't say that!!! I am not focing suffering on an animal! Feeding live lizards is OKAY. Its just a lizard, I do not ENJOY it, most of the time I don't really even watch...Its just I raise them, and want to feed them to my snaks when I have a few newly hatched ones. I have since stopped doing this because I have LISTENED to YALL GUYS! Please, listen to me and know I am not Sadistic!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #70
kandie_kitten
You know, the more you say, "I'm just a country girl!" as your reasoning for how you treat animals is pretty sad, and gives "country girls" all over a bad name.

Most people who live on farms, who hunt, and live in the country have a respect for animals of all sizes, which you completely seem to lack.

It's "just" a mouse, it's "just" a lizard. It is a life. You're a pretty messed up person if you deliberately drag their deaths out for your enjoyment, because you think it's "cool".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
corn snake, mouse