CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Can snakes be fed a vegan diet?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
[starla]
Can snakes be fed a vegan diet?

I know - this sounds ridiculous.
However, I do know of cats raised vegan that are perfectly healthy.
So I will throw it out there incase anyone has heard of such an idea.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Emily1188
It would be an awful thing to do to a snake.

1.) Would they even eat it?
2.) Would they survive?
3.) Would they thrive long term?

And I think it's an awful thing to do any carnivore, cats included. They may appear healthy, but I have my (enormous) doubts)

Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
[starla]
Sure, I understand.

I just wonder what kind of life the frozen mice have had before being purchased. That's where the vegan idea originated. My snake was adopted from a previous owner. I wonder if for the greater good it would be more humane to painlessly kill my snake rather than buy frozen mice from the petstores in my area. Not because of the cost but because I don't like supporting petstores that sell animals.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
SquamishSerpents
i really, really don't think so. any dog or cat that you think is healthy more than likely isn't. they probably have skin conditions, yeast infections in their ears, goopy eyes, bad breath, etc. these are all related to allergies (to all the corn/wheat/peas/potatoes/whatever else is in the food) that their digestive systems are NOT designed to handle.

i work in a pet store, you wouldn't imagine how many people (vegans/vegetarians) come into my store and want a vegetarian diet for their animal...their CARNIVORE. it is absolutely unfair to deprive your animal of their proper diet just because YOU want to impose your beliefs on them...and they're not even human! they can't make a choice for themselves, and it is your responsibility to provide it with the proper nutrition, as close to their "natural" diet as possible.

i'm sorry, this is not a rant directed at you, just your question reminded me of how frustrating it is to see people neglect their pets needs.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
SquamishSerpents
oh i get it, a troll.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
[starla]
I wouldn't fed my snake a vegan diet if it was unhealthy. I posted here to find out if it could be and so far it seems to be the wrong thing to do. By the way I'm not trolling.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
[starla]
My dog eats a raw meat diet from roadkill and hunting. If my pets must be eat I aim to get it from a good source, where animals aren't treated as commodities to make money.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
tstephe3
Snakes need protein and calcium.. Simple as that, and a Vegan diet wouldn't provide that. So no, definitely not healthy. And I don't think there is even a way you could have a Vegan diet. I really doubt a snake will eat vegetables.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
[starla]
if my pets must eat meat*

Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #10
[starla]
well then, fair enough.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google