CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Can snakes be fed a vegan diet?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #61
Em Wright
I think everyone needs to back off a little... you guys are really just letting this get out of hand. I don't think Starla is saying half the things you guys are thinking she/he is. Simply put she was curious on the subject and asked for some input... that does NOT constitute being ripped to shreds.

Snakes being vegan? Seems completely silly. But it would be nice if nothing ever had to die to feed anyone/thing. In truth that is a fantasy that will never happen.

However, just because an animal must die to serve as food for someone/thing doesn't mean it needs to die painfully or be mistreated during what lifespan it is allowed. Plain and simple. The OP just wants to insure that any mouse fed to her/his snake was not mistreated. What is so terrible about that? Answer the question, discuss the issue, but don't attack people... the crap slinging really is not necessary.

Good day.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #62
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by [starla] View Post
I appreciate the passion here definitely!....

......... I'm not a troll I'm just not very well written and not an experienced forum goer. .
Maybe this is part of the problem...

Quote:
Perhaps the vegan cats aren't healthy after all. I guess it was naive to believe that. My dog however is healthy on the raw meat. The roadkill is picked up and frozen asap, it is not sitting around for days festering first. .
Sorry but I'm still bother with this.
Why....would you feed your dog road kill!! Times are tough!! I KNOW
But Why???

Quote:
I've decided I want to look into the carbon dioxide method for killing and raising my own feeders. That is the closest way I can ensure the mice are happy.
For one snake I don't think it's worth it.
Just order some mice on line and be done with it.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #63
Teddy Roosevelt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie612 View Post
I don't agree with killing the snake to save the mice, but that is because I enjoy having a snake as a pet. Someone who loves and gets attached to mice would see it the other way. We all have biased opinions and it's not okay to say someone else's bias is wrong just because it's different than yours.
It has nothing to do with a bias. If you say you're vegan and say you want to kill something so that other things don't have to be eaten, you are being a hypocrite and an idiot. This girl is a troll and you are wasting your intelligence defending her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Wright View Post
I think everyone needs to back off a little... you guys are really just letting this get out of hand. I don't think Starla is saying half the things you guys are thinking she/he is. Simply put she was curious on the subject and asked for some input... that does NOT constitute being ripped to shreds.

Snakes being vegan? Seems completely silly. But it would be nice if nothing ever had to die to feed anyone/thing. In truth that is a fantasy that will never happen.

However, just because an animal must die to serve as food for someone/thing doesn't mean it needs to die painfully or be mistreated during what lifespan it is allowed. Plain and simple. The OP just wants to insure that any mouse fed to her/his snake was not mistreated. What is so terrible about that? Answer the question, discuss the issue, but don't attack people... the crap slinging really is not necessary.

Good day.
No crap slinging is going on. Trolls get what they deserve.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #64
LBoz
I don't see anyone here attacking her OR her question. I was simply trying to follow the logic of why it would be better to kill the snake in protest of pet stores selling frozen mice. If you read my original post, I defended her question and her right to post it. I followed up with a secondary question....which was as extreme as her original example. No one is tearing her to shreds, but...thanks for your irrelevant addition to the discussion? *shrug*

Old 01-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #65
Outcast
Quote:
I know - this sounds ridiculous.
However, I do know of cats raised vegan that are perfectly healthy.
So I will throw it out there incase anyone has heard of such an idea.
Negative Ghost Rider

Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #66
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Wright View Post
I don't think Starla is saying half the things you guys are thinking she/he is..
What makes your thinking better or more valid than anyone else's? You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but so are the rest of us.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #67
wilomn
Starla, let me give you some unasked for advice.

If you are truly new to forums, you've just been initiated. Welcome.

Learn to ignore the dimglows who just post to put you down, realize the long timers, veterans, see posts like yours often enough that ARE made by trolls that yours was suspect. Don't take it personally.

Don't respond to every slight you receive. That only feeds those who troll claiming to be anti-troll, eh pepper?

Pick the folks you think are ok, listen to what they have to say, and enjoy your snake.

The CO2 method is good. So is raising your own rodents. Even if only for one snake, you still have total quality control, both of the rodent's life and how it is ended.

Welcome and enjoy.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #68
LBoz
^Good advice!

I raised my own for a long time, but it's labor intensive and can be costly, but they're extremely fun to watch....quite intelligent little creatures. However, they still have to be killed to feed the snake. I would think that the type sold in petstores would be killed by the same CO2 method, right? How else would they go about euthanizing in bulk?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #69
Outcast
im seriously looking into raising my own rodents for my snakes. and i only have 2 &1/2... the 1/2 being the escapee that i am still looking for...lol

Old 01-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #70
Outcast
i know one of the local pet stores does not have a CO2 chamber for their rodents... i think he just kills them outright.. which is why i am getting mine from the other pet store, i know she takes care of her animals and CO2's them

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google