CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Ok so I got a tail Rattle

Old 03-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
1TimeMoM
Ok so I got a tail Rattle

I fed whiskey like 2 days ago after he ate and had the fuzzy down good i put him back in his tank.. I went to change his water an the lil butt head gave me a tail rattle.. that is the first time I have seen any aggression expressed from him... Now I havent fooled with him much during the winter cuz its cold in my house and I didnt want his body temp to change to much and fast... so do you think I ruined him or was it just cuz he just ate? he never did me that before

Old 03-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Nanci
Don't think of a tail rattle as a sign of aggression. It's more like- I'm busy eating, don't bug me. I'm busy sleeping, don't bug me. I'm in my comfortable home, don't bug me. Nearly every one of my snakes rattles. I'd be shocked if it was ever followed up by a bite. Now if a snake makes its head into a triangle shape, or arches up into an S-shape- that's a serious warning!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
1TimeMoM
see Whiskey always curls his neck in an S but has never tried to bite me.. and when i handle him he does do the triangle thing with his head but never struck at me.. IDK i think my lil bugger is a wierdo.. LoL

Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
EsotericForest
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TimeMoM View Post
see Whiskey always curls his neck in an S but has never tried to bite me.. and when i handle him he does do the triangle thing with his head but never struck at me.. IDK i think my lil bugger is a wierdo.. LoL
I think snakes will curl their neck into an S at times, but not so much in an aggressive way. For example, sometimes when I'm holding my corn he'll just be looking around and curl his neck into an S sometimes. When they're doing the S curve and being aggressive about it, you sure can tell though...it's not like snakes don't tend to give plenty of warning haha.

Regards,
Josh

Old 03-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Nanci
Okay, I mean like this! That is a guaranteed strike!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
1TimeMoM
LoL no he doesnt do me that.. when I hold him he stays flat an does the lil s thing he doesnt pick himself up like that.. sometimes he does but never struck at me..

Old 03-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Teddy Roosevelt
Quote:
LoL no he doesnt do me that.. when I hold him he stays flat an does the lil s thing he doesnt pick himself up like that.. sometimes he does but never struck at me..
I think they sometimes do it when they're nervous perhaps because they'd rather have a potential threat hurt their body than their head. As for Nanci's picture, that's a definite "leave me alone NOW!".

Old 03-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
Aislin
Love that picture Nanci lol...."what you talkin' about Willis??"

Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Carinata
Tail rattleing is nothing to worry about! Baby corns are naturally very wary of their surroundings. My baby bloodreds do that all the time so did my other babies. Heck, even Doc my granite tail rattles. They are just doing what rattlesnakes took 1 step further in the evolutionary timeline.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
carnivorouszoo
Quote:
I fed whiskey like 2 days ago after he ate and had the fuzzy down good i put him back in his tank.. I went to change his water an the lil butt head gave me a tail rattle.. that is the first time I have seen any aggression expressed from him... Now I havent fooled with him much during the winter cuz its cold in my house and I didnt want his body temp to change to much and fast... so do you think I ruined him or was it just cuz he just ate? he never did me that before
Tail rattling isn't agression its just the snake saying hey you seem to be threatening me and I don't like it. Just means they want to be left alone. Nah agression is more like rapid striking.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google