• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeder Mice

lacy_poo

Im fairly new to taking care of snakes. I have a several month old cornsnake and was recently given a 5 year old because they couldnt take care of it anymore. The folks i got it from told me that he only eats live mice (where as my little one eats thawed pinkies just fine). I feed them sunday mornings and so going and buying a feeder mouse early in the morning is a little inconvenient. how might i go about buying one the night before and keeping it till morning? Are there special arrangements that should be made?

Someone gave me an adult corn that had always been fed live mice. I waited a week after I got him and and offered a thawed mouse. He took it a little slowly the first couple of times. Had no problem switching him over.

There are so many reasons NOT to feed live rodents to cornsnakes that I just don't understand why anyone does anymore, unless frozen rodents aren't available anywhere near them. However, that would also mean that they are living somewhere which may not be the best place to keep a cornsnake! Unless I'm missing something obvious?

The old man that gave me my adult raised mice. He just through in one at feeding time. I was buying pinkies that he had frozen when he gave me the snake...Oscar. I think he did it that way because it was easier.

Congrats on Oscar. I love the name. Best wishes on switching him to F/T. Funny thing but older corns usually just want to eat, lol.

If you need to, you can always either poke holes in or cut the f/t mouse to get him to eat it.
I use a corn cob holder and stab both the head and body a few times for both my BP and my corn. I don't need to, I just do it because. The smell of the blood will help.
Also, hang it by its tail with tongs and kind of wiggle it.
If they get hungry enough, they will usually take it.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

All of my six snakes eat live except the smallest, but I will tell you this, if you plan on feeding your snake live don't start until they're past the pinky/fuzzy size as it can be a pain in the rear to find live pinkys sometimes. At least where I'm from.

I agree that frozen is most convenient and (at least for me) easiest on the conscience, but if you choose to continue feeding live, why not just switch from feeding Sunday morning to feeding Saturday night? If you would be picking up the mouse Saturday night, is there any reason you couldn't just give it to the snake then, and not have to keep it until morning?
Otherwise, a quick google search would probably turn up a few options for short term mouse living quarters. Probably just a critter keeper, a little bedding, a small hide and a water bowl, but I'm just guessing.

Back