CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Copperhead in the barn.........How do we handle this??!!?

Old 08-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #31
Raptor
I've done the same thing. I have a little over 100 head of goat. Earlier in the summer, I had a bunch of sick goats and found a young copperhead in the pen. Suffice to say, it was quickly killed. A healthy goat would probably survive a bite, but a weak, sick goat wouldn't. I generally leave snakes alone and don't bother the hots if they're out in the woods. Hots up close to the house? They go.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #32
VickyChaiTea
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich333 View Post
just reach down and pin it down behind the head..pick it up...look at it, admire it...let it go
This is a fantastic way to get yourself killed. Only highly trained professionals should ever attempt to pick up a venomous snake this way, and it's really a dangerous method. Snakes can still bite you if they get their fangs in the right spot.

As far as what the OP did, relocation is always my first reaction. Even if the snake is highly venomous, it still deserves a chance. I realize that it's not always possible to do, however, and sometimes the snake must be euthanized. But that's almost never the only option. There are people who can be called/hired, techniques that can be used, ect.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #33
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalchow View Post
My husband does the same thing. It drive me up the walls.

However, you are going to get a vet tech answer on this one. I have seen the damage rattlesnakes and copperheads have done and it is not pretty. I don't think that you were wrong to kill it in that situation. Rattlers and Coppers have been known to be territorial so it is a possibility for them to come right back if that is their home. My husband is usually the one that picks them up and then he will take a 3 mile hike and let them go. But if you are like me and do not want to have anything to do with them. Call the fire department. I have never heard of a fire department not coming out for that. They prefer to pick up the snake then come back out and pick you up after being bit.

There have been times that the fire department has also brought in a snake to us when a animal got bit. So that we can identify what kind of snake it is and the age. That way we can be prepared with lots of anti venom if it was a baby snake.
Most fire departments are not equipped to deal with hot snakes. I can see them maybe bringing one in if it bit someone, for id purposes, but in general, they would refer to someone trained to handle hot snakes.

Just like cats in trees, call the proper person for the job...tree trimming service & such...not the FD.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #34
John3:16
Yes...but what most people don't seem to be hearing is that the dirt poor county we live in has 3 police officers, and NO ANIMAL CONTROL....no where to put even a stray dog.
No road maintenance in the winter...nuthin.....we are about an hour from anywhere that does.
There is no one to call........no one.
Anyone that would have come would have killed it...
Stray dog protocol is to leave em unless they are killing livestock..then you shoot them.
Sheriff won't come unless a person is being attacked.
No one is gonna come out here and relocate a snake...we are in the Cumberland mts..they kill on site up here...rat snakes whatever.

Now I'm getting kinda tired of people going on about this poor snake...
My post was about what to do NEXT time.....
I have solved this problem....hopefully..assuming that this college kid will drive 2hrs round trip from the nearest town to move the next hot I find.

I mean seriously people..telling NOOBs to move a HOT??!?!?!
Or just leave it in the barn so the children can get bit next time they gather eggs??!?!?!?!!?!?
Seriously??!?!?!!?
Come on.......

Old 08-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #35
Christen
I am sorry, but like I said no matter where I have been I have never had a problem calling the fire department and they have been equipped with snake hooks, rabies poles and buckets and according to them training for that purpose.

In fact here in AZ they urge you to call the fire department. Then they will take the snake back to the station and call someone who will show up in a day or two. Obviously, you don't want to call 911 unless someone is bit.

I don't mean to upset you. I was just giving another idea that I have seen work many times. When it was my kids that came that close that is what I did.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #36
John3:16
Its not you...Its just that here..we have a volunteer dept...as in minimal staff at the station...and I assure you that they would not relocate a hot...if they are telling me to shoot the DOGS I don't think they are gonna come out in the middle of the night and relocate a hot snake...
but anyway...its the people that were saying to just leave it...or move it ourselves tht got me worked up.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #37
Christen
I completely understand and I think that we both were typing at the same time so I didn't see your vent till after I posted mine. lol I am really starting to not like this forum because some of the stuff you are talking about. I don't understand how a simple question of what would you do turn into a huge arguement and almost ever post is like that.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #38
durrn
Everyone feels very strongly about their own opinions I guess. It doesn't bother me too much cuz either way I'm learning something. Just don't much care when it gets too heated or is directed at me. Lol.

I think you did the right thing J3. And go you for getting a plan for next time. =]

Old 08-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #39
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by John3:16 View Post
Yes...but what most people don't seem to be hearing is that the dirt poor county we live in has 3 police officers, and NO ANIMAL CONTROL....no where to put even a stray dog.
No road maintenance in the winter...nuthin.....we are about an hour from anywhere that does.
There is no one to call........no one.
Anyone that would have come would have killed it...
Stray dog protocol is to leave em unless they are killing livestock..then you shoot them.
Sheriff won't come unless a person is being attacked.
No one is gonna come out here and relocate a snake...we are in the Cumberland mts..they kill on site up here...rat snakes whatever.

Now I'm getting kinda tired of people going on about this poor snake...
My post was about what to do NEXT time.....
I have solved this problem....hopefully..assuming that this college kid will drive 2hrs round trip from the nearest town to move the next hot I find.

I mean seriously people..telling NOOBs to move a HOT??!?!?!
Or just leave it in the barn so the children can get bit next time they gather eggs??!?!?!?!!?!?
Seriously??!?!?!!?
Come on.......
I would have done the same thing in your shoes. A hot snake poses a life threat to your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalchow View Post
I am sorry, but like I said no matter where I have been I have never had a problem calling the fire department and they have been equipped with snake hooks, rabies poles and buckets and according to them training for that purpose.

In fact here in AZ they urge you to call the fire department. Then they will take the snake back to the station and call someone who will show up in a day or two. Obviously, you don't want to call 911 unless someone is bit.

I don't mean to upset you. I was just giving another idea that I have seen work many times. When it was my kids that came that close that is what I did.
Maybe in AZ that's their protocol. Maybe in your area, due to lack of AC & such, they specifically train the FD for those situations, but that is not a normal level of training for firefighters.

I used to be a firefighter & I currently dispatch for several fd's. I have worked in Colorado (both FF & Dispatcher) as well as WA state.
I can only speak from experience. We were not trained to handle snakes, let along hot ones.
Even now, I would refer people to someone trained to handle hot snakes, if there is someone in the region for that.

I would not recommend someone to attempt to catch & relocate a hot snake on their own, but if someone chose to do that, that is their choice to do so, I only hope they are aware of the danger they are placing themselves in.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:09 AM   #40
Carinata
Now this obviously has sparked some sort of debate and I figure I put in my .02. Now Copperheads, while venomous are not USUALLY deadly and should be considered dangerous nonetheless. Now I have a 5 year old half brother and we often encounter Copperheads whilst snake hunting and such. And my dad has killed several and I have told him not to. But they do it anyway. Snakes are a very important part of an ecosystem and killing one can be very bad for a ecosystem. Copperheads eat, mice, lizards, frogs, small birds and even cicadas. And killing one should NEVER be a first resort. Copperheads are viperids. They are less jumpy than colubrids, USUALLY! Depending on how big the snake is you can easily shoo it into a bucket or trashcan, then take it to a safe location. You can call animal control, or reference a member of a forum that is local that would be willing to remove the snake. As much as we worry about or children, loved ones and mammalian pets (as annoying as they can be ). We need to remember that these are wild animals that need to be able to reproduce in the wild to keep equalibrium in the wild.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google