CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

I seem to always miss the "morph" in the wild!

Old 08-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #51
BloodyBaroness
-yawn-

Way to hijack Chip's thread.

If you want to talk hybrids...here is a forum FULL of like minded people. http://www.hybridherps.com/forum/index.php

The reason your hybrid talk is going so flatly here is because this most members here are cornsnake fans, hence the site name. Sure they like other things too, but the percentage is smaller.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #52
Shiari
The benefit is that now I know to absolutely never buy snakes from Carpe Serpentis, as he's willing to label hybrids as pure.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #53
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
There's a reason why merle chihuahuas and their relatives are not able to registered or are allowed as show dogs:

Because no matter that they look entirely chi at this point, the merle gene came from outside the breed. They are not pure chihuahuas and it is unethical for people to claim that. If I wanted to breed black labs and I bought two purebred black labs... and they had puppies that were parti-colors, I'd be ticked off.

When I buy a corn snake, I want a *corn* snake. I want, to the best of the breeder's knowledge, to have something that has not had intentional non-corn crosses in its ancestry. To make them look 'pure' and then label them as such is also what is known as "lying".
Unfortunately, nature lies to you all the time. Nature does not keep cornsnakes pure in the wild as hybrids occur in the wild and the real shocker is that wild cornsnake hybrids are not kept out of the wild population... they continue to breed back and forth polluting the pureness of your pure cornsnake. This has happened and continues to happen since before the first moment cornsnakes became recognized as cornsnakes and will continue to happen. You can't stop nature from hybridizing. "A species is often defined as a group of individuals that actually or potentially interbreed in nature. In this sense, a species is the biggest gene pool possible under natural conditions." As defined by Berkeley. http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolib...e/0_0_0/evo_41

Old 08-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #54
Christen
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
What about peacocks???
Dang it!! I can't rep you.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #55
Susan
Give it a rest already! You've had your say in 2 other threads. Don't hijack a third to start the same old argument over again.

You like hybrids. So do many others, but we don't go around hitting those that don't like them over the head trying to force them to accept your OPINION. I would rather listen to a political debate at this point!

Good Grief! Did I just say what I think I just said?!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #56
Christen
LOL Yes you did Susan and I have to agree with you.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #57
Nanci
Not me ...

Old 08-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #58
BSLMichael
Oh geez... More Hybrid talk. Seems like this subject pops up in about every long enough thread.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #59
airenlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLMichael View Post
Oh geez... More Hybrid talk. Seems like this subject pops up in about every long enough thread.
Not normally...

Old 06-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #60
Floof
(Attack of the zombie thread!!!)

Sooo, Chip. It's been a couple years... Is this project still in motion?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google