CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Supersize corn

Old 08-01-2005, 02:30 AM   #41
OCFinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DdotSpot
Wow, you've made QUITE a first impression with your first 11 posts...

That statement proved absolutely nothing except that all animals that have gone extinct, USED to be alive...uhh yeah...

So, just a question for you. Do you feel that the population of corn snakes has DECREASED since "we" started "catching" them? Or increased?
I dont have any facts to support this, but I will offer this; I believe the population of captive corn snakes has dramatically increased. And I think you could imply that if we are catching wild snakes, especially gravid ones, then the wild population would be decreasing.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:36 AM   #42
jazzgeek
First:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCFinfan
Keep thinking the way you do and make sure you collect all the snakes you can, because thats the only way your children or your childrens children will see one live. Ignorance must be bliss
Then:
Quote:
And I never said people that disagree with my opinion are ignorant.
Busted.

regards,
jazz

Old 08-01-2005, 02:53 AM   #43
OCFinfan
You dont finish your post with a derogatory comment, you start with it. I do appreciate the obvious thought that went into your post, jazz. However, all I was trying to do was state my opinion on a topic, and it quickly branched into hypotheticals, and in your instance, philosophical thoughts. I found your comparison to the deer in your area a valid point. And I thank you for stating your opinions, even though you still felt the need for name calling (troll). Yes, the corns are exponentially threatened by our destruction of their habitat, but I honestly believe that capturing wild snakes is ultimately harmful to the species in addition to the obvious perils they face every day. So, think of me how you want...I am holding true to my beliefs. I just cant figure out how a whole group of people that obviously share the same love for snakes wouldnt want to try and do what could only be beneficial to them in the long run, and that is let them be and prosper. Is there really a need to capture a wild snake when you can go to the pet store and see a hundred of them stored and racked on a shelf in tiny cages?

Old 08-01-2005, 09:58 AM   #44
Serpwidgets
Quote:
I dont have any facts to support this
That's exactly the problem here. You are telling people how they should or should not practice or enjoy their hobby, and that they are bad for doing so outside of the parameters you have arbitrarily chosen for them, without presenting any reasoning behind how it is any of your business to begin with.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:35 AM   #45
Hurley
First off - a statement of what I personally believe regarding wild caughts:

I don't oppose the collection of wild caught specimens in moderation. I don't personally own a wild caught, but if there was something to be gained by adding a wild caught to my collection (after proper quarantine and treatment for any parasites, of course) then I wouldn't be against it.

Potential pro's of wild caughts (if you will):
- New blood for the breeding program
- The wild caught has some characteristic or potential color/pattern morph that can be explored to bring something new to the captive population (size, color, pattern, head shape, etc.) that is considered beneficial by the person taking the wild caught
- Locality buffs
- Sentimental value such as having a corn originating from the area you are in, or as a reminder of a successful herping tour, and others.

Are all of these pro's to ME? Not really, but they all are things that are important to other people in the hobby at some point. I believe they are all valid reasons to keep a wild collected specimen in a species that is plentiful in nature.

Con's of wild collecting:
- "The decimation of nature."

The problem with this thought is that it is not a fact, it's a hypothesis.

It's been brought up that habitat distruction plays a huge roll in limiting the corn's range. I agree that this is most likely the biggest contributor to any potential decline in corn snake numbers in the wild. I would like to see some studies on corn populations to know if they have indeed declined, stayed the same, or increased.

Believe it or not, corns can do very well on the edges of human population. Humans make tons of edible garbage. Edible garbage breeds tons of rodents and birds and bugs (which feed anoles, too). More feeder animals means more nutrition and potentially an increase in survivability of corns in the area. You might think there would be less habitat for egg laying, but then again, corns are pretty resourceful. Who was it that had a gravid female escape in their house and a few months later had a sudden invasion of hatchling corns? Predator influence near civilization...I don't know. Probably less predatory birds near civilization, but more feral cats. It would be an interesting study. OK, sorry for the rambling tangent, I'll get back to the topic.

What we don't know is the impact of wild collecting on the wild populations of corns. The simplest view would be Herper A takes out X number of corns from the wild. Those animals and their niche and the babies they would have produced are gone forever and the corn population will never be the same. I have a real problem with this view because nature just isn't that black and white. When you remove something from nature, a niche is left and will be rapidly filled. If I take out a gravid snake and her hatchlings, does that really decrease the number of yearlings next year? I very much doubt it. If the area is in homeostasis and you remove one member, that leaves an area of more resources for other hatchlings that may now survive when they would have starved before...or it may mean faster growing hatchlings where they would have barely maintained before.

I don't know if corns resemble the white tailed deer in that they need population control to decrease competition for limited resources. I don't know if field collecting is making any impact in the wild numbers of corn snakes out there, but I'm very skeptical. I will say that I would encourage anyone who field herps to leave the area as you found it, meaning put the overturned piece of tin back where it was, replace the rock you moved, pick up your garbage...but I can't condemn people for field collecting, especially in the face of no evidence that it is harmful to the wild population as a whole and in fact potentially could be beneficial. If I personally don't believe in bringing in wild caughts because there are plenty in captivity, I still have no right to condemn someone who wishes to.

One could mention the sideline to this of people pulling wild caughts, raising up a couple clutches, selecting some stock and releasing the parents and most of the other hatchlings back where they came from...but this brings up a whole nother debatable issue, what with potential introduction of disease to wild populations, over populating an area that can't support the increased numbers, etc. I'll leave that for another thread.

Lots of food to chew on in this debate. There is no black and white here, it's opinion, hypothesis, and view at this point. We can argue views all we want, but until the studies are brought to light, we're not dealing with any fact here.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:37 AM   #46
PssdffJay
I dont check the site for one day and look at what i miss!!!

Oh man, where to start...I make stupid comments a lot and I am usually on the wrong side of debates, but dude... what can I say...

Well OCfinfan... if you are so against capturing wild snakes to breed for captivity and in a sence almost insurring their survival, even if it is only in captivity, then you yourself are a hypocritical. YOu have no right to insinuate that someone else is a hypocritite!!

If you are so against it then I say let free your 2 corns, your 2 sinaloan milk snakes, and your calif king out into the wild. See how long they survive the elements of birds, oh, wait, they eat snakes right... cars, they can run over snakes too if I am not mistaken and countless other elements that, oh wait, thats right... with probably F_ING kill them too!! MORON!!!!

And for the whole endangered species list... come on, your 39, you should have at least a little common sence and intelligence!! Whales are on the endangered species list, wanna know why... CAUSE PEOPLE FREAKING HUNTED THEM!!!!!!!! Apes are on the list too, wanna know why they are... CAUSE PEOPLE FREAKING HUNTED THEM TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to emntion tigers, rhinos, pandas, marine turtles, elephants... can you guess why they are all on the list too... yup! CAUSE PEOPLE FREAKING HUNTED THEM TOO!!!!! Why do you think they are protected now!!! Or bread in captivity, to ensure they survive!!

Now, I am new to snakes myself and I couldnt tell you why or how there are so many snakes on the endangered species list but i can take a guess... CAUSE THEY WERE FREAKING HUNTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boots, belts, other overpriced accessories... But when was the last time you heard about people going out and hunting corns... still waiting... yeah, thats what I thought!!! If anything, we are saving the species by breeding them and keeping them and stopping the harsh elements of our cruel world from killing them. Sure we play a part with construction and desecration, but I dont hear you b*tching about that now. Are you going to go on a construction forum and yell at them for building because amazingly enough, us humans like to live in buildings and have homes and drive cars on paved roads...

Oh, and about the gravid female and you saying that they lay so many eggs so that one may survive to breed on its own... lets say only 10 eggs hatched after being captured and cared for... umm, 1 survivor or 10... lets do the math... lets say that in one year, each snake again only laid 10 eggs for simplicity... the only one in the wild that survived laid 10 and lets keep your optimism and only 1 survives... hmmm, now you have 2 snakes... But lets say the 10 in captivity each have 10 offspring on their own that survive... hmm, i don't need a calculator to see that we now have 100 snakes... so in review, lets compare, 2 snakes, 100 snakes... but of course, your're right, lets just keep the 2 and see how fast they dissappear...

Oh yeah, and if the california king snake is so scarce because of people capturing them... where do you think yours came from? Hmm? I guarantee that at one point in time, your snake had relatives that were captured from the wild... still waiting for you to free yours though... let me know when you do so I can grab a tissue cause it will be a sad moment!

Lets see, what other contradictory and not intelligent things did you say... Quote: "I would be happier if wild snakes remained that way...wild." Still waiting to hear about your release party for your snakes...

Quote: "And FYI, EVERY animal that is either extinct or endangered was at one time plentiful." Yeah, CAUSE THEY WERE FREAKING HUNTED!!!! NOT CAPTURED TO BE BREAD IN CAPTIVITY IN THE PROBABLY HUNDRES OF THOUSANDS EACH YEAR!!!!!!!!!!! HUNTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seeing a pattern yet?

Quote: "And just to reiterate what I have previously said, I think there is a HUGE difference in capturing a snake that obviously doesnt have a chance..." So what about the other hatchlings that dont survive to adault hood that we were talking about earlier? Are they not worth saving cause according to you they dont have a chance??

Quote: "I dont have any facts to support this, but I will offer this; I believe the population of captive corn snakes has dramatically increased. And I think you could imply that if we are catching wild snakes, especially gravid ones, then the wild population would be decreasing."

No facts you say, but you are certain enough to imply that the wild population are decreasing b/c of catching wild snakes, "especially gravid ones". So what about all the other gravid snakes out there that are better at hiding from humans and are able to lay their eggs. Granted, we will never be able to give an accurate number to how many corns are left in the wild but still if captive corns are increasing we better be careful that corns dont go extinct, its not like we could just take some of the captive corns we have and rerelease them back into the wild if that does happen cause you know, that just would be dumb...

Well, that is enough out of me, I am going to bed to go to work in a few hours again so, OCFinfan, please feel free to bash me with whatever unrelated comments you like like hypocracy, of childish, or ignorant, cause really I dont care what you think about me. Im 19, your 39... grow up!

Old 08-01-2005, 10:40 AM   #47
PssdffJay
Hurley you beat me by a few minutes!!

Old 08-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #48
mrweaw
OCFinfan,

I am a biologist and am not a huge supporter of wildcaught specimens myself, but frankly I find you horribly rude. You have insulted several people here that I consider friends and are good people. You also seem to have a serious problem telling the difference between what is written or said...and what you want to believe was written or said. A word of advice...Think Twice, Speak once (or type once in this case) This is a place where you can learn and make friends if you wish, but it seems that you have simply joined to bash people and force your own beliefs onto others. If this is your goal, please do it somewhere else.

Sincerely,
Erin Williams

Old 08-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #49
OCFinfan
Great post Hurley, you stated your opinion very well, and I concur with virtually all of what you said.
As far as mrweaw goes, I was only rude when someone was rude to me. I stated my point, how I felt, but the people that replied felt it was necesssary to resort to name calling way before they even tried to offer up a valid argument, if at all. You say I have a hard time telling the difference; however most people were trying to bash me for what was implied, trying to put words in my mouth, getting philosophical or hypothetical, rather than what was said. I do give you credit though for stating your opinion before you hopped on the bash bandwagon.
Now jay, very enlightening post!
1. Now, I am new to snakes myself and I couldnt tell you why or how there are so many snakes on the endangered species list but i can take a guess... CAUSE THEY WERE FREAKING HUNTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boots, belts, other overpriced accessories... But when was the last time you heard about people going out and hunting corns... still waiting... yeah, thats what I thought!!! If anything, we are saving the species by breeding them and keeping them and stopping the harsh elements of our cruel world from killing them. Sure we play a part with construction and desecration, but I dont hear you b*tching about that now. Are you going to go on a construction forum and yell at them for building because amazingly enough, us humans like to live in buildings and have homes and drive cars on paved roads...

Is there a difference between hunting and taking a snake out of the wild for your personal collection? No. There is no difference between capturing a snake and making a belt out of it and keeping a wild caught snake in your personal collection. Either way, they are now out of nature. Then you say we are doing them a favor by catching them before we kill them. All righty then.
I am against construction in snake habitat, and yes, I have voiced my objections here in Southern California about some proposed buildings. Did it have any impact? Probably not. The houses were still built, but at least the topic was raised. However, at least the local fish and game has halted some projects when it was realized that there was an endangered species in the area about to be razed. At least its a start to try and raise public awareness.

2. Oh, and about the gravid female and you saying that they lay so many eggs so that one may survive to breed on its own... lets say only 10 eggs hatched after being captured and cared for... umm, 1 survivor or 10... lets do the math... lets say that in one year, each snake again only laid 10 eggs for simplicity... the only one in the wild that survived laid 10 and lets keep your optimism and only 1 survives... hmmm, now you have 2 snakes... But lets say the 10 in captivity each have 10 offspring on their own that survive... hmm, i don't need a calculator to see that we now have 100 snakes... so in review, lets compare, 2 snakes, 100 snakes... but of course, your're right, lets just keep the 2 and see how fast they dissappear...

In review, lets compare..100 snakes IN captivity, -2 in the wild. I feel there are more than enough corn snakes in captivity for every snake enthusiast out there.

3. Oh yeah, and if the california king snake is so scarce because of people capturing them... where do you think yours came from? Hmm? I guarantee that at one point in time, your snake had relatives that were captured from the wild... still waiting for you to free yours though... let me know when you do so I can grab a tissue cause it will be a sad moment!

Mine came from captive breeders, and of course at 1 point their ancestors were wild. I have no problem with the capturing and breeding of different kinds of snakes, but I feel we have accomplished that goal many times over, and there is no longer a need, nor has there been for quite some time to keep capturing wild caught snakes.

4. Lets see, what other contradictory and not intelligent things did you say... Quote: "I would be happier if wild snakes remained that way...wild." Still waiting to hear about your release party for your snakes...

Did I say captive bred snakes? No. I said wild snakes. You read it, copied it, and still got it wrong. I would prefer wild snakes remaining wild. period.

5. Quote: "And FYI, EVERY animal that is either extinct or endangered was at one time plentiful." Yeah, CAUSE THEY WERE FREAKING HUNTED!!!! NOT CAPTURED TO BE BREAD IN CAPTIVITY IN THE PROBABLY HUNDRES OF THOUSANDS EACH YEAR!!!!!!!!!!! HUNTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seeing a pattern yet?

You are stating my point for me. Capturing, hunted, its still the same result. A snake is removed from its natural environment.

6. Quote: "And just to reiterate what I have previously said, I think there is a HUGE difference in capturing a snake that obviously doesnt have a chance..." So what about the other hatchlings that dont survive to adault hood that we were talking about earlier? Are they not worth saving cause according to you they dont have a chance??

That is called nature. Most wont survive to maturity, but they still have a chance. When we take them out of the wild all chances are negated.

7. No facts you say, but you are certain enough to imply that the wild population are decreasing b/c of catching wild snakes, "especially gravid ones". So what about all the other gravid snakes out there that are better at hiding from humans and are able to lay their eggs. Granted, we will never be able to give an accurate number to how many corns are left in the wild but still if captive corns are increasing we better be careful that corns dont go extinct, its not like we could just take some of the captive corns we have and rerelease them back into the wild if that does happen cause you know, that just would be dumb...

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People, my whole point is I feel there is a gluttony of corns in the market, and there is no need to capture snakes. Yes, corns are abundant and plentiful in some areas, especially FL where some of the people that replied live. But how much longer will they stay abundant? I am jealous that some of you live in areas that afford you the privilege of seeing some of these magnificent creatures in the their native habitat. When I was a child growing up, you could take a walk and find many different species of snakes; rosy boas, a few diffferent kings, a few different rattlesnakes, gopher snakes, racers, whiptails, garters, etc. Unfortunatley those days are gone. I hope that 1 day your children or their children will still be able to find the joy of taking a walk and coming across a plethora of animals that used to be taken for granted.
It is obvious that those of you that go out "herpin" and catching will continue to do so. But maybe instead of grabbing that gravid female, why dont you keep on searching for awhile till you find an older snake, preferably male, to add to your collection. I live near the ocean and there are strict regulations now in place about the size and amount of what you can keep. Unfortunately for most species that once thrived here, those rules have come too late. I dont want that to happen to corns or any other species.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #50
DdotSpot
Of course you know that we are not ALL in agreeance with the way that some people respond. Hope you don't get the wrong impression. I'm with Hurley on this one. Also a good post OC. I think this topic is ongoing and we can discuss it till we are blue in the face and not get anywhere. I don't own any WC, nor am I in the area to find them. But if I was, and ran across a unique specimin, I think that I would not feel any remorse about it. However, I am NOT going to go collect bags full of them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google