CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with wild catching corns?
Yes 91 59.48%
No 62 40.52%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions on WC

Old 01-05-2005, 04:02 PM   #31
Itsnowingcorns
OK, here's my answers to your questions:

I disagree with WC because if a corn was born in the wild, I feel it should stay in the wild, it's not fair on it to keep it in a cage when it was so used to life out in the open. You will probably talk about me not realising where we got corns in the first place but I do, but now we have CB so we don't need WC anymore, unless to make bloodlines stronger which was explained to me by Quigs. Yeah I don't feel too happy about that either but I feel better about it than WC that are caught for the pleasure of the capturer.

What do you see me as? One of those, what I've seen Americans say on this site, PETA members? I wanted to know what others thought about this matter, yes I am sorry I responded too much making it seem as though I'm trying to change other people's way of thinking and I again apoligize. I care about all animals, if I was to support an endangered species fund then it would seem unfair to chose one. Plus I have no money! I'm still in school, I cannot get a job.

Again I say I started this post to see other's views on the matter, but not to change my own. Yes my view has been changed slightly thankful to Quigs, but I still stay mostly by my own judgement, as will everybody else.

Old 01-05-2005, 05:56 PM   #32
Jimmy Johnson
Fair?

Quote:
I disagree with WC because if a corn was born in the wild, I feel it should stay in the wild, it's not fair on it to keep it in a cage when it was so used to life out in the open. You will probably talk about me not realising where we got corns in the first place but I do, but now we have CB so we don't need WC anymore, unless to make bloodlines stronger which was explained to me by Quigs. Yeah I don't feel too happy about that either but I feel better about it than WC that are caught for the pleasure of the capturer.
Unfortunately your reasoning here just doesn't really hold up.
Snakes can't comprehend fair or unfair.
When corns are kept in captivity, conditions are better then in the wild. They do not have to compete for food, they do not have to go long periods between meals, they have optimal temperatures at all times so they don't have to search out these temperature ranges, they do not have to avoid predators and they definitely won't get run over by a car. Due to these factors and others, corn snakes live much longer in captivity.
So, if there was a fair or an unfair it would seem unfair to leave them in the terrible conditions of the wild...lol
As far as being kept for the pleasure of the captor????? That is why we have corn snakes. They bring us pleasure. We like them! Is there really any difference between keeping a captive bred corn snake or a wild caught corn snake for pleasure. Wild caught corn snakes adapt to captivity quickly and make excellent pets so it can't be THAT bad on them.
Oh well, some of us are fine with moderate removal from the wild and some of us are against it. This has been the same forever and will continue to be so.
Very rarely does either side change it's mind so if you take from the wild be responsible and if you are against taking from the wild, don't do it.
Just for the record, I do not have any wild caught snakes at this time but if I find the right corn snake specimen in my area I will not hesitate to add it to my collection.
In the '80's I had a wild caught corn, five wild caught black rat snakes and a wild caught eastern/black king snake and can tell you they were definitely doing better in my care then they would have in the wild.
ok, I'm done now....LOL

Old 01-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #33
Itsnowingcorns
OK, I have heard many people say this about WC, not having to compete for food, no danger of being ran over etc. But the way I think of it is this:
Imagine if you were taken from your everyday life and put in a room. The room has a heater that keeps it at a constant temperature that is comfortable for you. There is a bed for you to sleep in. There is a chair for you to sit on. Every day you will be fed cereal in the morning, sandwiches at midday and a chicken dinner in the evening. There will also be a toilet facilities and a shower. Everything will be kept clean for you, you don't have to do anything to earn it, just live in this room. Yeah, you might get a TV if you're lucky. So you have been taken from your normal life and you now live like this. You've never got to worry about work again. You'll never be in danger from car accidents, murderers or anything else that can harm your life. This is now your home, you stay until you die.
Is this not the human equivalent more or less of WC? Yes CB live like this but they have never lived anywhere else, and they would be kept in a viv no matter what, that's what they have been born to. You'll probably say that the wild corn won't remember its previous home but how could anybody be sure? We don't know what's going on in their minds and probably never will.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:05 AM   #34
Traci1
But the mental, emotional, physical needs of a snake cannot be compared to the needs of a human being. Snakes and humans are no where near at the same "level" when it comes to those things..(for a lack of a better word).

Old 01-06-2005, 11:09 AM   #35
Itsnowingcorns
I know Traci1 but I can't help the way I feel, there are many things we don't know about corn snakes. We don't know whether they really miss living free or feel sadness or other similar emotions.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #36
WAS1
Being from the UK, I feel I need to get involved with this debate.
I don`t think anyone is right or wrong here I think its just the way we`re educated on different sides of the "pond".
Here in Britain we have decimated our wildlife over the centuries, and heavy population dosn`t help. Only now are people being educated to care for and look after their environment. Collecting and selling any native wildlife is illegal, and can carry penalties.
Because of this approach our wildlife is making a remarkable recovery and species are being reintroduced and are thriving.
Over in the US you obviously dont have the same problems we have, so view things differently.
So no one is right or wrong, just educated differently over our respective wildlife.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #37
Itsnowingcorns
That's nicely said WAS1.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #38
rippit

Who would've thought - a (minor) flame war without Jicin at the epicenter!

Speaking of which, what ever happened to our little antichrist of the forums? Haven't seen her post anything lately. (Man, I hope mentioning her name doesn't make her reappear.)

Old 01-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #39
rippit
Personally...

And no, I'm NOT going to do this, but what I would like to do would be to release a few CB corns INTO the wild. They're not native to PA, and IMHO, any creature that preys exclusively on mice and rats would be a welcome addition to the local ecology.

And once again, for those of you out there inclined to nail me on this, I will not be releasing any CBs into the wild

Old 01-06-2005, 01:50 PM   #40
Itsnowingcorns
Hehe, rippit I have read some of Jicin's posts. She has left because she has had enough of this forum, I speak to her regularly on AIM and enjoy talking with her, I guess you all just caught her bad side.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google