CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

There should be a torture chamber for...

Old 09-18-2005, 01:42 AM   #41
ultimuttone
Just to avoid any misunderstandings-I am not condoning violence or encouraging my children to 'beat up' anyone. I do encourage them to help others, human or not. I would not punish them for popping someone in the nose if that is what they had to do to protect some one/thing else from being hurt.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:07 AM   #42
daufoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimuttone
"boys will be boys", I see it as boys who have no consideration for anything but their own selfish indulgence.
That is what boys will be boys means. After all, they're kids not old enough to know much beyond self indulgence.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:12 AM   #43
daufoi
Anyway, my point with saying that was to show that just because you're inflicting pain on something or killing something doesn't necessarily mean you're going to end up as a serial killer.

The third point takes what I'm saying out of context.

And on a final note: if my snake was to get run over by a car, purposely or not, I would not lose sleep over it. It's a snake not my son! I will just buy a new one. Which just goes to show you, pets are not people, despite how some people treat them.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:19 AM   #44
daufoi
My mistake, after thinking about it more, the third point is not really out of context. It just means I'm going to drive around you and kill whatever you're waiting for.

Old 09-18-2005, 04:08 AM   #45
ultimuttone
You post a thread because you think that your snake likes the smell of your cooking, but you feel other people are anthropomorphizing because they don't like to see an animal senselessly killed or injured.

I obviously need much more coffee because I just don't get it.

Old 09-18-2005, 04:57 AM   #46
daufoi
where did that come from? all I was saying in the other post is the snake is attracted to the scent of food cooking. nothing anthropomorphized about. lots of animals like the smell of food cooking... Maybe you ought to lay off the coffee instead

Old 09-18-2005, 07:44 AM   #47
Mary-Beth
Quote:
Originally Posted by daufoi
That is what boys will be boys means. After all, they're kids not old enough to know much beyond self indulgence.
I couldn't disagree more. I have a six year old that is compasionate and knows when she is causing something or someone pain and it upsets her.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #48
JenC
Quote:
Originally Posted by daufoi
So where is man's habitat? Every piece of land is habitated by some kind of animal, does that mean we should all just vanish?

The snake shouldn't be in the road because that's where it's going to get killed. Kind of like, no snake or any animal should be getting in the way of a heard of buffalos. Cause guess what? They'll get killed. Should we blame the buffalo? (those bastards)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning those persons' actions. But I'm not going to wail over it either.
But its not the snakes fault that people invaded its habitat, FORCEING the snake to HAVE to get across roads tog et to certain things it needs.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:39 AM   #49
rob&spence331
I too dislike it when people purposely run animals over. The only time that I think it would be somewhat justified would be a dangerous animal near their home. Like within feet of their home not well, it was ten miles up the road from their home. I laugh when I see the people who swerve at night to hit the little bat in the road and they are sooo busy aiming at the bat they miss the big buck in the road in front of them as well as the me flashing my brights while using my hazards to warn them as is the car in the other lane. Then, the bat flees at the last second and.... WHAM!!! five point buck hit at 60mph by a lil sportscar which now looks like a tin can and the buck flees. Now, was hitting an innocent lil bat really worth the cost of a new car? I have also seen people who go in the ditch to run over animals in winter time only to get stuck in the snow. serves them right! I wish these people would think before acting. How would they like it if someone purposely ran over their beloved pet? Yes, wild animals don't belong to anyone, but, they deserve to live too. sorry for the rant, just got worked up. lol.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #50
MyLittleGuyCyrus
I'm the opposite.....I swerve to MISS the little critters!!!!! I saw a prairie dog once in the middle of the road.....pulling his way to safety after his back end had been crushed! My whole week was ruined seeing that......poor little guy!

We have a teacher here that has a class called "Slithers". Kids can take this as an elective. She (and the kids) go from school to school with probably 30 snakes so as to teach people of how sweet and docile they really can be! It was actually this event that made me learn more about corns and run out and get one (she had two there that I fell in love with)! Before this I was paralyzed with fear over snakes......any snake!! She was just at my kids school again a couple of weeks ago and has offered to let me mate Cyrus (who I now think is a girl) with one of her corns so I can experience the whole clutch/pipping thing! It's awesome because she has done it before and said she would help me!!!!

Now, I am not near as brave as a lot of people on here who will just pick up a "stray" snake, always scared of that bite ya know!!!! But, I have captured 4 garter snakes from my sister in laws basement and relocated them to an open space by my house!!

A belated thank you to all the people on here who have ever answered my ridiculous questions regarding Cyrus......I was such a newb! I was scared of doing EVERYTHING wrong!!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google