CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

British lizard

Old 07-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #11
SnakeAround
Just found pics on the net.... I think they are ugly! Sorry....

Old 07-24-2006, 03:39 AM   #12
diamondlil

ugly? just look at this cute face!

Old 07-24-2006, 04:47 AM   #13
colinmcc
^^^ I agree with lil! Lovely things ... and great slug catchers to boot!

I've still never spotted a snake or lizard in the wild in the UK. Was up Blackford Hill in Edinburgh the other day and it was nice and warm so I was hopeful but still no joy. Plenty birds tho, including a few hawks of some description (too far above us so couldn't tell what type) who gave us a nice hovering display from the top of the crags.

Loads of wild raspberries too! Yum.

Bloke at work was down Dumfries way though and did see a few Adders out sunning themselves as the weather was so warm.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:48 AM   #14
SnakeAround
Well, the face is cute but the body is not really attractive...

Old 07-24-2006, 09:03 AM   #15
Swirlything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutengel
Well, the face is cute but the body is not really attractive...
Aww :/ I think they're gorgeous myself, almost metallic-looking. Hee ^_^

Old 07-27-2006, 05:22 AM   #16
elliott54321
Talking torquay

i live in torquay devon in are graden we have a nets like box fool of slow worms nice lizzered by the way
ell

Old 07-27-2006, 11:28 AM   #17
aiden_punx
i never saw herps in the uk in spain i find morish gekckos alot and i have seen some big skings in the road aswell. only one snake so far though was a false smooth snake i belive it looked like rear fanged.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #18
Plissken
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~slither~
I watched a program on british snakes the other day, and it said that the smooth snake is super rare. They couldn't find one even for the show.
Good luck with finding one Plissken, I think you'll need it!
Smooth snakes aren't neccessarily rare, but they aren't found in all areas of Britain. They don't come this far south-east, that's why I won't see one here. They are found mainly in the Dorest area, I think, and places like the New Forest. I've seen them on programmes before. I'm not saying they aren't unusual, but I don't think its an impossible task to find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutengel
Can someone post me a pic of a slow worm? I have no idea what it looks like what so ever... tnx!
You might like to look at a thread I made a while back:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...t=35508&page=1

Pictures of slow-worms. Some are in my hand too, so you can see relatively how large they are.

Ugly? Slow worms are absolutely beautiful. I guess I'm biased, because I've been seeing them and handling them since I was little, and they have a special place in my heart as far goes British wildlife, but still. Definetly not ugly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_punx
i never saw herps in the uk in spain i find morish gekckos alot and i have seen some big skings in the road aswell. only one snake so far though was a false smooth snake i belive it looked like rear fanged.
How did it "look" rear-fanged? Did you look in its mouth?

Old 08-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #19
stuart
hehe, Ive found a lot of common lizards, they are everywhere near me. Theres also a lot of slow worms here too. As far as snakes are concerned, Ive seen a very, very small grass snake, must have been a hatchling STUCK in an old wooden chair, its head was stuck in with his tail hanging out, managed to get him free, no biting or trying to escape. Probably just happy to be free from the chair, just released him then, dont know what happened to him.

Im trying to find an adder, I would really love to see one. So far though, no luck

Old 08-22-2006, 10:18 AM   #20
Dan13
Theres a forest near me where i always go searching for adders as so many people have said that they've seen them basking on the paths but whenever i go theres none ! It's really annoying as nearly every person ive spoken 2 has said they've seen them! My cornsnake doesnt have a name so any suggestions would be appreciated! thnx!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google