CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

View Poll Results: What weekend is best ( pick one or two) for Herping Hocking Hills.
June 6,7 1 12.50%
June 13,14 3 37.50%
June 20,21 4 50.00%
June 27,28 1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

OHIO HERPERS ( calling all)

Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #31
minktrapper24
If you guys don't mind I'd be interested in tagging along. I live in nelsonville Ohio going to Hocking college and havn't done any herping before outside of classes.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:22 AM   #32
tspuckler
To ForkedTung: Yes, I've known Jeff Risher for at least 20 years - that's a good dude to know. Harley Dan has purchased snakes from me over the years.

As far as where to go, it depends what you're looking for. Snakes generally like open, sunny areas. These can be in the middle of the woods, or a field with woods nearby.

Lake Hope has railroad track running near it and this creates an open area (often with natural as well as artificial cover).

We didn't see any lizards (too wet out, I guess), but skinks and fence lizards live in the area. Box Turtles too.

Once I get all my photos together, I'll post a more "well rounded" summary of the trip.

Tim

Old 05-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #33
uberalice
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
Nice pics! Now I'm stoked about going!

I have already requested June 6th and 7th off of work for something else but this would take precedence...so I guess that is the date I'm throwing out there. Anybody else game for June 6th?
June 6 is the date of the Columbus show so I am probably out for that date. I'll be out of town June 21-28 too, but the 7th could work for me if people will still be out herping then.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #34
tstephe3
Crap.. Yea, June 6th I can't do. Racing. I'd love to go another time though if someone organizes it.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #35
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspuckler View Post
I was in Hocking Hills over the weekend (May 1-3). Although it was overcast and rainy, we found the following snakes:
Enjoyed seeing the photos. Thanks, for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkedTung View Post
I'm OK with the 6th and 7th...plenty of time to plan.
anyone else?
I am on the fence as to whether June 6th/7th will work for me.
Hopefully, I can figure out, very soon, if those dates will be good (for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by minktrapper24 View Post
If you guys don't mind I'd be interested in tagging along.
Only if you bring each group member a gift - in the form of a snake of their choice. <just kidding>
Don't know, about anyone else, but I wouldn't mind if you came along.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #36
Darcpixie
Lemme know! I'll see if i can pester the parents into watching their grandchildren... maybe i can even get sunday off

Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #37
ForkedTung
Quote:
Originally Posted by minktrapper24 View Post
If you guys don't mind I'd be interested in tagging along. I live in nelsonville Ohio going to Hocking college and havn't done any herping before outside of classes.
Nope no problem at all, I said earlier that all would be welcome, I think the more people we have the greater the chance of us all finding many and varied herps. Alhtough, minktrapper24 you may be able to "scope out" a few areas to go herping...I'm new to this as well but transition zones especially ones with a water source and cover are always good places to start.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #38
dwyn127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkedTung View Post
I think the more people we have the greater the chance of us all finding many and varied herps.

And if you don't find any animals you can all go back to Kyle's house, he can release his snakes, you can all count to 100....

Old 05-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #39
MinLynn
Now that would be fun! Finders Keepers right?!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #40
Drizzt80
Kyle, just so you know, I'm not going to be able to make it. Don't hold up your plans on my account though.

D80

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google