CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

The Little Cobra That Could: A Drama

Old 10-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #21
COerriccaRN
members of the Leioheterodon are not at all toxic to humans. Having been bitten by a subadult male L. madagascariensis during a feeding response, and a female adult, I can personally vouch for the fact that there were no toxic reactions to the bite.

Quote above is from a website ^^ Their saliva only "stuns" their prey and is harmless to humans

Old 10-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #22
dionythicus
The only problem would be an allergic reaction.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
ZoologyGirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
members of the Leioheterodon are not at all toxic to humans. Having been bitten by a subadult male L. madagascariensis during a feeding response, and a female adult, I can personally vouch for the fact that there were no toxic reactions to the bite.

Quote above is from a website ^^ Their saliva only "stuns" their prey and is harmless to humans
I don't know...this guy might beg to differ

http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

Old 10-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #24
COerriccaRN
Quote:
I don't know...this guy might beg to differ
Yikes! So... are they or aren't they would be my question? I'm glad I kept a mop between me and that little guy.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #25
ZoologyGirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
Yikes! So... are they or aren't they would be my question? I'm glad I kept a mop between me and that little guy.
no, i don't think they are venomous.

I think their saliva, entering into the bloodstream, can cause a nasty reaction.

edit..Ah, I have been proven wrong by my fellow posters, apparently they are technically venomous.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #26
COerriccaRN
Quote:
I think their saliva, entering into the bloodstream, can cause a nasty reaction.
Yuck!!!!! Not going to mess with those again

Old 10-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #27
Zulu3
I have GOT to get myself a hognose =)

Old 10-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #28
pwargcm
i think the guy on that site gets bit and waits to see a reaction. if its the site ive seen before. ive heard that they have slight venom and also the saliva theory. do i know for sure? no. but so did the komodo dragon have bacteria filled saliva, which it does. but now it known to be venomous also.

i know that if you let them sit there and chew on you and get whatever into your blood, you could have a reaction. as that site shows.

edit: forgot to say, awesome find. its not uncommon for the defecation either. they do it when playing dead often to make them smell of decay and death. probably especially with the dogs mucking with him as they were probably more aggressive looking than you.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #29
ForkedTung
Quote from Dr. Bryan Fry ( Venomdoc) pretty much the expert on venomous snakes:
Quote:
Heterodon are small, inoffensive snakes that are very appropriate as pets. While they are technically venomous, like most other colubrids, they should not be considered 'hot' or even 'warm'.
http://www.kingsnake.com/toxinology/...hlight=hognose

Old 10-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #30
Kokopelli
Don't they have venom glands at the back of their mouths?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google