CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Hip hip horray! I finally got my first pip today!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #91
wildlifephotographer
Okay, thank you. I might check the hatchling racks out and see what they are like. For the time being I'll probably just do the closet thing and see how that works. And I will spray the babies that haven't shed and see what happens. Thank you again.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #92
wildlifephotographer
Well, they have all shed their very first skins and out of 18 babies left all ate but 5 of them. Let's see # 3, 7, 18 and the two little babies that I am wanting to keep have not ate yet. which were number 5, and 19. I think so far I am doing good with getting them to eat. And #1, 2, 4, 6 have defecated which means they've digested their first meal without any problems. So I am pretty happy, just hope I can get the other babies to eat soon.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #93
SnakeAround
That's a fien score for the first round of feeding!

Old 08-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #94
Pasodama
Sounds like the feeding is going pretty well.
If you can't get the others to eat, there are always some tricks you could try. If you don't know what they are, you can look them up or ... just ask.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #95
Hillybean
From what I have read, you still have time to get them to eat. Temps of course could be the problem for the few not eating..just depends on the snake.

It's awesome that so many of them are doing so well already!

Old 08-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #96
wildlifephotographer
Yeah, they seem to be doing good pretty much. I'll wait 3 more days before feeding the non-feeders...I know some tricks, but not all of them. I know you can try bumping them in the face or shaking the mouse with tongs infront of them which I've already tried that. Then there is rinsing with dawn soap? And scenting the pinks with different rodent used bedding/shavings right? Or leaving the pinkie in over night with the snake to see if that works? I haven't tried any of those yet but the bumping. How would I get a hold of some used shavings, and what scent should I try or easily accessible/would I get the shavings from like petco/petsmart?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #97
SnakeAround
There is also braining (make a bit of brain leak out) and/or cooking the pinky (30 secs in water taken from the heatsource when it cookes) which I prefer over the teasing (which should not really be bumping).

Old 08-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #98
wildlifephotographer
I prefer not leaving the pinks in container over night just cause they get some yucky fast and so cold.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:27 AM   #99
Pasodama
A hatchling, being too cold, may be reluctant to eat. Since you mention the coolness, of the room, this could be one problem (also, as you know, they need appropriate temps for digestion).

Here are some tricks, that you can try, ~If~ a hatchling is, continuously, refusing to eat after some attempts. Also, only offer food, or try something, every 4-5 days (which you seem to be doing).

# Tease feeding can be done by lightly dancing the pink (moving it around the container as though live) or by touching it to the snake's head or body. Continuous touching/tickling, on body, is, basically, harassing the snake until the snake has had enough and strikes ... hopefully grabbing the pink. If it grabs the pink, hold ~very still~ and pray that the snake eats the pink it has in its mouth. I would never bump a hatchling's nose as this can have the opposite affect of what you are trying to accomplish (scaring the hatchling away from the pink).

# Feed at different time of the day (i.e. morning, night).

# Place hatchling, and a pink, in a well secured brown paper bag that is placed in a warm/quiet area.

# Leave pinkie in overnight.

# Place hatchling in a container, with the pink, and leave it, covered, in quiet place (you can try a dark place and a light place).

# Braining - Puncture the pinkie's head with a toothpick, squeeze out a bit of brain fluid, & smear the fluid around the pink's face/head.

# Feed live, or pre-killed, pinkie.

# Feed pinkie that is cut in half or just a pinkie's head (cut, while still frozen, then thawed).

# Wash Pinkie with a mild soap (i.e. Dawn, Ivory).

# Simply rinse the pinkie, well, with water.

# Wash & then scent.

# Scenting - You can try scenting with any of the following:
* Chicken Broth
* Dirty mouse/hamster/gerbil/etc. bedding (if you have none, try getting some from a friend, a breeder, or a pet store)
* Tuna juice (although some may have had success, I have never had any with tuna)
* Chicken skin from Kentucky Fried Chicken, or T.V. dinner, or other.
* Lizard (from live or frozen lizard.. or you can take off a part of its tail and smear the end on pinkie's face, etc., then place the tail in the pinkie's mouth)
* "Lizard scent" (A formula that is sold by some herp supply companies &/or Fishing supplies ... make sure that whichever formula you use is non-toxic ... BTW I am going to look into toxic/non-toxic thing, myself, to see if it is something I could use).
* Chick (Can purchase frozen chicks from a feed breeder)

# "Brumate" for a short period of time.

# There is, also, a method of "tube feeding" certain items that can "jump start" their hunger & feed response. Perhaps more, on that, later.
Although ... you could try putting a mouse tail (cut in half, or 1/3, to lessen length of tail) down the hatchling's throat (basically force feeding a mouse tail). Wet the tail with water, first, and start with thicker end of tail. After this, place the hatchling back into its container with a pinkie.

# If absolutely nothing, with rodents, works ... you could try a live lizard.

# Force feeding - this is a last resort and shouldn't need to be done until the passing of approx. 5 weeks since hatch date (as long as the hatchling seems to be doing okay).

Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #100
wildlifephotographer
Awesome, thanks for all the tips! Lets, see so far I've tried the teasing, braining, and washing/rinsing with soap. None of those have worked. Last night I did the soap/braining and then left the pinkie in the little hides overnight to see if they would eat it. I don't think they did though. In a few more days I will try scenting with chicken broth. Then if I can find some used mouse/gerbil bedding I will try that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google