CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Carnivorous plants....

Old 07-24-2014, 11:38 PM   #51
hypnoctopus
Those are just so neat. I had a little potted venus fly trap that was pretty fun. I don't think I could have planted it outdoors in Arizona, though. I liked feeding it bugs from outside.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #52
Rich Z
Surprisingly enough, the venus fly trap seeds are nearly all sprouting. I decided to snatch some pics of them before Connie moved them into the two tubs with the other larger plants. I guess I may have to move some of them around and maybe set up more tubs when they get bigger. Hopefully they will do OK out there.... But I couldn't keep them where they were much longer as the sundews I set up seemed to succumb to mold. Figured I had better move these guys why they were still looking strong.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #53
vetusvates
Fascinating. The seeds on the plants looked like caviar.

Rich, with racks and tubs. Growing little ones into bigger ones. I feel deja vu.....

Old 08-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #54
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetusvates View Post
Fascinating. The seeds on the plants looked like caviar.

Rich, with racks and tubs. Growing little ones into bigger ones. I feel deja vu.....
Nah... It would take a huge investment for a building to hold enough of these to be able to sell enough of them to make any profit. Then I would need to hire people to help out. Then suddenly, next thing I know, where did my retirement go? I'm WORKING again!

Not sure what I'm going to do with these things when i get overrun with them. I'm not even sure I'll harvest the seeds next year. Perhaps I should get a kiddie's pool and sink it into the ground and make a larger bog for these things. Too bad we don't have a natural bog area anywhere on our property. We do have a stream, but it's heavily wooded and not likely suitable for insectivorous plants.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #55
vetusvates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Perhaps I should get a kiddie's pool and sink it into the ground and make a larger bog for these things. Too bad we don't have a natural bog area anywhere on our property. We do have a stream, but it's heavily wooded and not likely suitable for insectivorous plants.
Now that would be super cool.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #56
Rich Z
After putting the baby fly traps in the mini bogs, it looks like most of them are doing fine and making little traps to catch their own meals.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #57
Rich Z
And of course I took some pics of the older fly traps while I had the camera in hand.....

Old 09-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #58
blue roses
which of your plants like mosquitos. I have a spot with so many of these little biters, you can't go outside the door without getting bitten. I love these types of plants, and have a sunroom with a glass ceiling , so even a plant that loves sun for the latter half of the day will be happy here. I grow my fig trees in this room, any suggestions.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #59
Rich Z
None of them actually "like" anything. They will take whatever they can get, whether actively attracted to them, or simply by accident when an insect makes a mistake by landing at the wrong place.

In the case of the fly traps, I don't think mosquitoes will be standard fare for them as there is nothing in the traps to attract skeeters as far as I know. I really think that they feed mostly on ants, as the design of the leaves leading to the traps is a natural path for ants to make. Recently I had a problem with ants deciding to build a nest right among some smaller flytraps I had growing. I was fretting about how to get rid of the ants without damaging the plants when a couple of days later apparently all the ants vanished. All of the traps were close, so I presume that the fly traps themselves took care of that problem. Poor planning on the part of the ants, I think.

Anyway, I think the best bet would be sundews as far as mosquitoes are concerned, especially the threaded kind, since mosquitoes would be likely to alight on the upright stems coated with the sticky globs that will entrap them. But honestly, with the moist soils needed to make sundews happy, you might just be creating even more of a problem by providing areas conducive for mosquitoes to breed. I have some sundews set up in individual containers outside that sit in pans of water and we have to constantly check on those pans to dump them when we see mosquito larvae in them. Any way to block the mosquitoes from reaching the water to lay eggs would likely be even more of a pain in the butt than just dumping the water when needed.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #60
vetusvates
Great updates.

I want a bog...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google