CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Two heads are better then one, I guess...

Old 08-29-2005, 07:16 PM   #51
wendyhoo9
Joining the conversation a little late, but great snake! It's a wonderful primer for genetic discussions!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess
The snake must be one sex as this kind of conjoined twin is the result of of an embryo trying to split into twins and getting stuck at this point (incomplete sepparation) so it's one snake splitting into 2, not 2 snakes joining into 1 (impossible as far as I know)
Actually, while very rare this is not an impossibility. There are actually people wandering around out there with mixed sets of DNA from fraternal twins that fused within the first few days of conception. What happens is the single cells (blastocytes) form when egg and sperm join, but then the two sets of DNA fuse. Since embryonic cells are not specialized yet they multiply until they grow into different body structures and tissues. While I haven't heard of a two headed conjoined twin there are men out there with floating ovaries and women with regressed testies (each with a separate DNA fingerprint from the whole person as these developed from the fraternal twin egg that fused). There have been some cases on file and it's still pretty new, but there are people with two sets of DNA because of this (sometimes only in certain tissues or organs but other times mixed cells across the entire body).

Truly facinating stuff!! Can't help myself being a bio teacher and all!!

Old 08-29-2005, 08:15 PM   #52
mrweaw
From a biological point of view a true Chimera (this is the best way I have heard to describe this phenomenon) is extremely fascinating. I person, or animal, having 2 completely different sets of DNA in their body could cause all sorts of interesting complications . Consider, for instance, reproduction and DNA fingerprinting. Just a little food for thought

Old 09-03-2005, 12:36 AM   #53
Sisuitl
Lab created chimaera's are not uncommon. There is no splicing of DNA involved, so there is no danger of unleashing genetic mutant monsters upon the world. Some endangered birds are actually being saved by chimaera's. A scientist took some DNA from an endangered grouse, and made a bunch of embryo clones. Then when they hit the notochord stage he spliced the chunk of notochord corresponding with the gonads into chicken embryos with the notochords at the same point in development. The result is a bunch of chickens that are tame, not easily stressed, disease resistant, and lay 300+ eggs a year instead of 5 or 6. The potential to hatch out a large number of endangered birds in a short time exists with a program like that, and the offspring are 100% grouse, with not one bit of chicken in them.

You *could* do something similar with rare snakes. Splicing cloned embryo notochord chunks corresponding to the gonads into corn snake embryos, and get corns that eat well, adjust to captivity well, but all their babies would be something rare like rhinocerous rat snakes.

On topic, that bicephalic corn is flippin' sweet! I'm jealous.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:45 PM   #54
Rorryy
I am hoping that the fellow you sold this amazing creature to is willing to keep us updated as it developes. If ya didn't you should have made it part of the deal!

Old 11-14-2005, 09:49 PM   #55
Dicephalics
Hi Rich,
I just registered today--have been trying to contact you. I am very interested in your dicephalic corn snake. I have had a dicephalic milksnake for more than a year. I can give you some advice. I have been studying them for 30 years and am working on a book. I would like to document your specimen by writing a report for publication. I have a couple lay articles on two-headed snakes. If you're interested I will send you pdf's.
Also, I collect snake calendars and applaud your idea of making one! Please do, as there are very few devoted to snakes in recent years.
Please send me your email.
Regards, Van

Old 11-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #56
Khaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicephalics
I have had a dicephalic milksnake for more than a year. I can give you some advice.
Regards, Van
Sorry Van, I forgot that Rich sold it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
One last photo that I took before I sold it....

Old 11-15-2005, 02:20 AM   #57
Rich Z
Yes, sorry but it was sold to a local guy here in Tallahassee. I need to call him in a day or two, so I will see how it is doing for him.

Thanks.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:37 PM   #58
2i2_D3gr33s
You should give him a link to this thread so he can do some posting himself....as well as add some new pics!

Old 11-21-2005, 06:15 PM   #59
Rich Z
Sorry but he does not have a computer at all.

I did see that snake yesterday and she is doing just fine under his care. Getting some size to her and looking in fine health.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:45 PM   #60
Rich Z
Just a short update on the two headed corn. When the guy showed it to me, he mentioned that it's really odd how it wants to feed. One head will eat pinks, and the other will only eat anoles. Guess the "feed response" signal doesn't come from the belly after all.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google