• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

This year or wait?

I'm so glad to have read this...because I likely would have made the same mistake....

So do you think it's ok to bother them to remove the eggs while they are laying or should we wait until they are finished....and remove the whole clump? I'm expecting a nice clutch here soon.....so I was just wondering....

Drewby07 said:
I'm so glad to have read this...because I likely would have made the same mistake....

So do you think it's ok to bother them to remove the eggs while they are laying or should we wait until they are finished....and remove the whole clump? I'm expecting a nice clutch here soon.....so I was just wondering....

Well done on the fertile eggs diamondlil :)

Drewby07, no leave them until they've been laid to avoid problems, you might not get a prob,but then why risk it? Better safe than sorry.

Hi,
Very interesting thread, Im glad Pearl is ok and good luck with the eggs. I am only a begginner with my first corn at the moment.
Well done.
Like to see pics when they hatch.
Dawn

Congratulations on all the eggs. This has truly been an eye opener and sorry you had to go through it all. I wish I would have read this post while my girl was laying her eggs last weekend. Like you, I kept bothering her to make sure she was doing okay but I was also removing the eggs each time I opened the cage. Luckily she didn't face the problems your little one faced, but she was laying eggs everywhere but her lay box. Luckily she finally settled down and was able to finish in one night. It's just too exciting being an expectant mother!!

I've got some funky looking eggs here :eek1: There's mould on all but 4 of the eggs. I'll leave them to incubate just in case they're still viable, but I'm not at all hopeful

Attachments

• 15a.JPG
    15a.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 110
I bit the bullet tonight and had a good look at the eggs. 3 are perfect, no mould at all, 2 were hard and crinkly and totally mouldy, the others are partially moulded. I've seperated the good eggs and the maybe viable ones into smaller containers, then opened the 2 worst ones. They were hard and rubbery, so I'm wondering if a heat-spike killed them. They had veins so I think they were fertilised

Attachments

• 17a.JPG
    17a.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 18a.JPG
    18a.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 24a.JPG
    24a.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 99
I checked the eggs today, and decided to throw out the mouldy eggs as they stank to high heaven. They were all 'hardboiled' inside. This leaves me with 3 good eggs. Because Pearl's laying was so spread out, they are between 43 and 53 days today. At this point even 1 viable hatchling will be a bonus.

Attachments

• 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 88
Janine, I'm sure I read that water dripping on the eggs was bad. I think you should put a sheet of newspaper over the eggs to stop the water droplets falling on the eggs.

It won't do any harm :cool:

I dried them off straight away, the droplets were from when I took the lid off the tub. I'm thinking I must have had the substrate too wet to start with. I'll have to do better next year, I've made too many mistakes this time 'round

Still no pipping yet. I'm checking them once a day so as to control my impatience.........one egg has a 'window' appearing, no mould at all though, thank goodness

I hope i am soon in this thread wishing you congrads on your new hatchlings.

My grandma use to say experience is a hard teacher but i good one...

:) First ever pipping today! Late home from work, and just had to check the eggs before I could sit down. Here's the pictures I'm so happy to post!

Attachments

• 28a.JPG
    28a.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 29a.JPG
    29a.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 78
Thanks, Stephanie! This is what I didn't think I'd see after causing Pearl's laying problems. The other 2 eggs have 'stretch marks' showing, so hopefully they'll follow suit soon

Woo-Hoo!!! I was hoping you'd get some of those to hatch!! Boy, when I'm not the one sitting there watching the eggs the time flies. I was so excited when my first pipped. Congrats and isn't it just awesome? The whole idea that you can create, so to speak, these little guys and guess what they are going to look like too just blows my mine. The theory behind genetics is something, but you really have to see it in action to really understand, and believe IMO, the ideas we have all learned.

Can't wait to see more pictures!

Thanks Turner. '#1' still shy, but this is the tantalising glimpse that shows a tiny bit more .
I know what you mean, I've bred finches, guineapigs, gerbils and guppies before, and it's always exciting to see what the genetic mixture produces.(As a teenager I also hatched stick insects after a year-long incubation, there were no surprises there, all genetically identical to their mum due to parthenogenesis :grin01: )

Attachments

• 31a.JPG
    31a.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 69
Congratulations Janine! The very first pippy is always the best. Great job and we are very happy that you are hatching your first babies. :cheers:
Jay & PJ :cool:

Thanks, J and PJ.
I put a section of loo roll in the egg container so the baby could hide without trying to burow, and here's the result

Attachments

• 45a.JPG
    45a.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 49a.JPG
    49a.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 67
A very respectable 10 grams, a lovely het blood belly. This baby is het for blood, anery and amel and I'm totally overwhelmed. He/she is in a tub in the incubator now so it can rest without me disturbing it

Attachments

• 51a.JPG
    51a.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 52a.JPG
    52a.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 55a.JPG
    55a.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 57a.JPG
    57a.JPG