CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

My scorpion haul for the night

Old 09-06-2019, 12:35 AM   #1
hypnoctopus
My scorpion haul for the night

Where I live in AZ there are a lot of Arizona bark scorpions around. Unfortunately they are the most common scorpion species we have around here and also the most potent. I have yet to be stung, but family members and pets have been stung. During the summer months, my husband and I like to go out and catch as many as we can around our yard. We haven't done it in a while, so we caught a LOT this evening. I think I counted 19.

We use a blacklight to spot them:

Without a blacklight:

And an old pair of snake feeding tongs works wonders for grabbing them!

Old 09-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
Pine
That's neat. Here in Michigan we don't see those except in pet shops.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
crackerhead
On my annual trip to Big Bend National Park, TX we caught hundreds of them using cheap black light flashlights. When night herping got dull we would park the car and pull out the flashlights. They were everywhere! In bushes, on rocks, in tall grass. We just didn't see them until we used the flashlights.
It was giddy fun.

Terri

Old 09-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
Rich Z
We see scorpions around here every now and again. Probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to break out the UV lights I use for diagnosing automobile leaks and show Connie how many are actually around outside. I would hate to have to move.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google