CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Mystic Exotics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Mystic Exotics Welcome! Mystic Exotics is a small, home-based business in the PNW. Here you will find photos of my animals, breeding projects, and occasional random fun stuff. Thank you for visiting!

Carpet Pythons

Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #31
MysticExotics
I should add that some bloodlines do get quite big. I have some friends that had a male & a female IJ that were believed to be one fof the first wild caught IJ's or one of the first captive born. They were both about 16yrs old & both were huge! They were gorgeous (they both passed away not too long ago).

My Coastal female is from smaller bloodlines, which is good, because I now live in a city that does not allow snakes longer than 10ft.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #32
MysticExotics
I won't be breeding Carpets anytime soon. I will be pairing Jezanna & Daray (both are possible het Granite) & I just saw a Jungle Jag(very cool!) , & will probably pair Aradia with Tyr when she's big enough. It will be a few years before my girls are ready to breed.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #33
solo1979
Ok now I'm going to have to start doing my homework on carpets. Nothing can beat the beauty of corns to me but personality wise I'm really digging the 2 pythons that I have so far. Corns are like the jittery crackheads of the snake world while pythons are more like laid back potheads. Lol!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #34
MysticExotics
Ah, but wait til you hold a Carpet Python, & see their awesomeness...you'll be hooked.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #35
solo1979
So full grown what is the largest prey they need? I had pet bunnies so I just can't bring myself to even think about getting any snake that needs to snake on thumper.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #36
MysticExotics
My Jungle eats med rats right now. He might grow big enough to eat large rats. I imagine that large rats are *generally* the prey size that they eat (or a couple rats if they get huge).

Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #37
solo1979
Ok gotcha! Don't think I've seen carpets at the local show but can't say I was actively looking either.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:40 AM   #38
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo1979 View Post
GTPs are beautiful, but they can't be handled much, correct? I have been looking at carpets here and there but trying to tell myself I'm not going there. Lol!
Not so sure about 'can't be handled much'

And I had to put the 'Kiss' up again

GTP should not be handled until they are past a year old... Their spines are very easy to damage so any handling needs to be careful and gentle...
And a year old snake that has never been handled can be quite eventful when you have to be careful at the same time... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwheather View Post
From what I'm told, they are not as mean as people say they are. If you look up Rocky Gravely on iHerp, I'm hoping to get a baby that looks like Malachite or Flint.....love, love, love them!!

Oh, but you really should get into Carpets
They are awesome! My friend who got me into snakes in the first place, has been working on me to get a GTP. She says they're the ultimate snake. I will reserve my opinion on that until I actually have one. LOL
Carpets, are hands down, my favorite snake. I love their dragon-like heads, & the majority of them have fabulous personalities!
If you're looking for smaller snakes, IJ's tend to stay failry small. The first pic on this page, is of Karma's parents.
TBH... I prefer Carpets.....
GTP are quite boring... They make you panic with their vivs and husbandry... Panic with their food (you haven't had poop questions until you have had a GTP).. Just generally on tenter hooks all the time...
Carpets on the other hand are like nails... User friendly and it's hard to get things wrong... Plus they sit like a GTP, so win win..... JMHO.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #39
solo1979
Very cool! My can't be handled much statement was in regards to hurting their spine although I can imagine that a snake who wasn't handled much in their first year may not be the friendliest.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #40
MysticExotics
I somehow missed these last two responses...sorry.

I have a feeling that I too, will prefer the Carpets, even after I (someday) get a GTP.
I kinda figured I would end up getting one "token" GTP & it would be a display snake.
We shall see.

I would love, love, love one that looks like Rocky Gravely's "Flint"!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google