CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

$4000 Squirrel

Old 11-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #31
Preita
Absolutely you can live with out one. I think MB was saying that she uses her debit card...but not like a credit card...meaning that when she is buying something...she actually has the money right there to pay for it. Same as cash.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #32
SnowCorn87
I don't like the idea of those "guided hunts". If you ask me, thats not hunting at all. Its just weird... Its like those hunts where you go to a place where they keep it stocked with game... Thats just weird. I guess if you're a city slicker you think you're really being a man by going out there for the sake of shooting something... Not something I would do, I prefer real hunting.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #33
ghosthousecorns
You can live without one, but it's tough. Everyone looks at credit scores, landlords do when you rent, even some employers when you apply for work.
I also live in a mobile home. I used to live in a really really crappy mobile home in CA (manufactured dwelling if you prefer) I found a much better, nicer, newer one in OR and it cost less than what I sold the other one for. Because I still have to pay rent every month it's just not the same as owning a house to me. I have the ambition that I want to own a real house and I know I won't be able to if I don't have a good credit score. At least it's paid for, and my truck (98 chevy) is finally paid for. I paid the remaining balance off finally but had to finance it at first, and the interest rate I got for the truck was horrible because I had not enough credit yet at the time, I had just gotten out of debt. You can live without a credit rating but it's hard to advance that way unless you happen to have the $150,000 in a box under your bed or a family that has money and will loan it to you, and not all of us are so lucky.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:10 PM   #34
coyote
I have no credit cards. Have had none for over 14 years. I do have a debit card. And, during those 14 years I have bought a house. A Habitat for Humanity house. 0% interest mortgage, $276.00/month which includes overage for escrow for taxes and insurance. I don't have the kind of lifestyle that demands rental cars or airline tickets. Also, when I use the debit card, I don't have any interest to add to the price of the purchase.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:31 PM   #35
coyote
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCorn87
I don't like the idea of those "guided hunts". If you ask me, thats not hunting at all. Its just weird... Its like those hunts where you go to a place where they keep it stocked with game... Thats just weird. I guess if you're a city slicker you think you're really being a man by going out there for the sake of shooting something... Not something I would do, I prefer real hunting.
There is a guy here in Montana that was just arrested for several counts of poaching. He owns about 1200 acres and was running an outfitter business on his property. People from all over would pay him for the privilege of guided hunts on his property. Private property or not, game animals belong to the public and can only be killed during hunting season by those holding valid licenses.

The guy was caught when an airline passenger from Montana overheard three of his customers talking about their trip. The passenger called a poaching hotline and turned them in. The customers were charged with poaching but the business owner was fined $25K, imprisoned for 1 year and had his right to hunt and own guns revoked FOR LIFE.

Currently Montana has, after 15 years, re-opened limited bison hunting. Licenses have been issued for the purpose of killing bison that have left Yellowstone Park. There was quite an outcry 15 years ago.

I, personally, am not reconciled to this policy. It is promoted as a "fair game" hunt, but I don't agree. These animals are habituated to human proximity and don't have the fear advantage of other game animals. I think it is no better than a canned hunt.

The controversy surrounding bison leaving the park and wandering into Montana "proper" stems from a fear that Montana could lose its Brucellosis Free status if infected bison spread the disease to cattle. I say bupkis. Other large game animals can be infected also, thus exposing cattle grazing on PUBLIC lands to the disease. And even being exposed themselves from infected cattle. Apparently the bison no longer belong to the American people when they leave the boundaries of Yellowstone Park.

In contradiction to this fear about Brucellosis, Montana must accept Canadian cattle and products even though there have been confirmed diagnoses of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy in Canadian cattle.

The logic (?) of poitics!

Old 11-15-2005, 02:37 PM   #36
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
I have no credit cards. Have had none for over 14 years. I do have a debit card. And, during those 14 years I have bought a house. A Habitat for Humanity house. 0% interest mortgage, $276.00/month which includes overage for escrow for taxes and insurance. I don't have the kind of lifestyle that demands rental cars or airline tickets. Also, when I use the debit card, I don't have any interest to add to the price of the purchase.
Well if you pay the CC balance on time, you pay no interest rates. Even if you take an extra month---the added interest is so small you hardly even notice it.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:20 PM   #37
starsevol
Yeah I'm wicked old....
I remember life without microwave ovens, computers,debit cards, bar codes, cable tv, touchtone phones and Kwanzaa.

I remember when Exxon was Esso and Mastercard was Mastercharge.

And it all happened so darn fast....

Old 11-15-2005, 06:13 PM   #38
ghosthousecorns
Diner's club... Pan Am...I remember being all excited when Pong came out, the first video game ever. Remember how huge the first cell phones were?
I hate new technology sometimes, yet if you don't embrace it you get left behind.
How's this thread get so anyway? Sorry blckkat!

Old 11-15-2005, 07:56 PM   #39
Clint Boyer
Quote:
I don't like the idea of those "guided hunts". If you ask me, thats not hunting at all.
I think you're thinking of what's called a canned hunt, where the animal is in a cage or fenced area.

I worked as a guide for an outfitter in Montana and believe me, we had to 'hunt' just like everyone else.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:30 PM   #40
coyote
So Clint, what are your feeling about the bison hunt.

They showed pictures on the news of the two that were killed today. The bison just graze and totally ignore the people, like they are accustomed to do during tourist season. Even after one was shot and the people went down to start processing it, the rest of the herd just hung around eating. "Fair Game" hunt or not? Doesn't seem like sport to me.

There are 50 permits and three months for each recipient to kill his/her bison. FWP are saying that by the end of the three months the bison will understand what is going on and will run when they see humans. Bet that behavior will be real popular when the tourists come back to the park next summer.

Still, I suppose it beats being rounded up, and shot in pens.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google