CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Normal/Classic with a gray HEAD

Old 12-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
1TimeMoM
Normal/Classic with a gray HEAD

I went to petsmart and they have a few older cornsnakes. older than hatclings but younger than yearlings.. and they have 2 that look like a classic/normal but they have gray heads.. they called them fancies but I never heard of that.. What is this morph is it a classic/normal or what?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
vetusvates
Do we get a picture, Sweetie? (Oops, I'm sorry. I was under the impression you'd brought it home.)

NOTE : I have interrogated my buddies at the local PetSmarts and PetCos, only a couple of whom know anything about snakes. Or corn snakes, specifically.
In Baton Rouge, they get shipments from a broker/distributor that receives snakes from all over. So the knowledge of precisely what a store gets is only as good as the people passing the information. Or the store snake expert and what he/her knows. Anything not "normal-looking" (or said by the original breeder to be other than normal) is marked up $20 and called "fancy" : from anerys to amels, to one I thought was maybe a ghost or something I was unfamiliar with. Some I have seen look very "creamsicle-ish", which I find annoying when it is being sold as a 'fancy corn', but that is a whole other topic.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
wade
I'm kind of a classic with a gray head. I've never heard of a "fancy" either. I suspect it's a normal they are trying to put a big price on.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
reptile_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TimeMoM View Post
I went to petsmart and they have a few older cornsnakes. older than hatclings but younger than yearlings.. and they have 2 that look like a classic/normal but they have gray heads.. they called them fancies but I never heard of that.. What is this morph is it a classic/normal or what?
Did you get it out? If so was their any belly checkers? It could be a bloodred or at lest het. bloodred. I hatched out some 100% het bloodred babies this last summer that had the "bald" gray head. They only had their belly checker down the side of the belly. As babies, bloodred's can look like normals if you don't know how to ID them.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
1TimeMoM
well at petco they have them for $40 and these lil guys were $50 but petsmart is more expensive than petco.. they were in a tank with an amel and an anery... they just struck me as odd cuz like I said they are colored as normals but with gray heads like a bloodred I think it is.. sorry no pics.. she wouldnt let me take any cuz she said she just fed them the day before which I was like whatever I mean she was handling them but ya know most of those places have no idea or clue of what they are doing..

Old 12-13-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
1TimeMoM
they have belly checkers big bold black belly checkers LoL.. sorry for double posting.. i didnt see this reply til I submited the other..

Old 12-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
vetusvates
Quote:
well at petco they have them for $40 and these lil guys were $50 but petsmart is more expensive than petco.. they were in a tank with an amel and an anery... they just struck me as odd cuz like I said they are colored as normals but with gray heads like a bloodred I think it is.. sorry no pics.. she wouldnt let me take any cuz she said she just fed them the day before which I was like whatever I mean she was handling them but ya know most of those places have no idea or clue of what they are doing..
LOL. The only thing about asking....is that then they can say No.
If you clicked off a few pics with your cell phone accidentally, unaware of their policy, I mean...you would just apologize and plead not guilty.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
vetusvates
Quote:
they have belly checkers big bold black belly checkers LoL.. sorry for double posting.. i didnt see this reply til I submited the other..
This would indicate NOT bloodred.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
1TimeMoM
ok thats what I thought.. LoL It just struck me as odd to have a gray head... IDK.. it was rather stunning none the less though.. I bought my first snake from petco and I luckily have had no problems with him whatso ever.. I am looking to get me another.. but ID rather get from a breeder but I dont have any breeders down here...

Old 12-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
vetusvates
Quote:
ok thats what I thought.. LoL It just struck me as odd to have a gray head... IDK.. it was rather stunning none the less though.. I bought my first snake from petco and I luckily have had no problems with him whatso ever.. I am looking to get me another.. but ID rather get from a breeder but I dont have any breeders down here...
I don't know where you are, precisely, but Rob and Louise Stevens are in Shriever, Louisiana....and their reputation and snakes are outstanding and above reproach.
And....getting them in the mail, overnite, is fun.
In other words, there are great people all over the US. You just have to do some research.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google