CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

alternative food

Old 06-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
exotics.ga
alternative food

I watched a video recently and sum guy was feedin his snake on sum timp of meat i fink it was liver or kidney so i am just wundering what alternative meat i cud feed them on and how often i can do this and if there wud b any extra benifits from feeding it to my snakes

thank u

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Old 06-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
IrishInIsengard
I would only feed a cornsnake frozen/thawed mice. No exceptions.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Rigby & Marcy
The only way I would try anything but plain, pre-killed mice is if there was a non-eating hatchling.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:24 AM   #4
exotics.ga
Kool beans thank u

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Old 06-25-2015, 06:52 AM   #5
hypnoctopus
Some people also will feed chicks. I never have, so I can't really comment on the pros or cons. But I don't think there would be any benefit to feeding your snake just organ or muscle meat because they are adapted to eating whole prey, with all the bones, organs, fur, etc.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #6
Dahliasmom2012
I read the get calcium from digesting the bones, I would think feeding just bits would end up with dietary imbalances

Old 08-12-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
DougMan
I've seen that vid. Frozen mice are pretty cheap at reptile expos and they are proven to work. I'd stick with them.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:08 AM   #8
GoRabbitGo
I occasionally use a product called ReptiLinks, which is ground whole prey in a sausage casing, to supplement the normal diet of frozen/thaw rodents. I offer the rabbit flavor, which is basically a whole rabbit, bones and all, (minus the fur) put through a meat grinder. They're convenient and equivalent in price to similarly-sized rodents, but a little more nutrient-dense and more quickly digested because they're already ground up.

They're good for putting weight back on after breeding season and for adding a little dietary variety. The creators of the product have used them as an exclusive food for many species of reptile for years with no ill effects, so I figure adding them to snakes' diets in addition to rodents can't be harmful.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
obboi34
i stick with frozen rodents and will try an occasional supplementary chick.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
Cane
I have seen a video of a guy feeding an indigo snake chicken necks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google