CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Under tank heater ?

Old 08-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
Pine
Under tank heater ?

I have had my corns in 29gal high with top infrared heaters only and we keep our house at 67° in the winter.
So I thought I would try UTH without the top heaters and see how the vivs stay for temps.
It's working great except for my one Butter wonton stay off the heater. My other snakes move back and forth from the hit hide to the cool hide.
Today I got my Butter out to hold for a while and she felt hot to the touch. Her surface temperature was 87°.
I held her for about 15 minutes and put her back.
She stretched out for a few minutes and then went back in the hot hide.
Checked her temperature again and its 86°.
Should I consider putting some astroturf or something over the UTH? Or am I worried for nothing?
If it were a Ball Python this wouldn't concern me, but I'm new to corns. Only had them for 4 months.
Please advise.
Thanks; Pine

Old 08-19-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
How hot are your under tank heaters getting? They can get overly hot if they're unregulated. You can also try moving it to the side of the viv and put a hide near it so she can still comfortably access it, but she can't sit on it. And the additional air flow will help keep it not as hot.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
Pine
Thanks for your input.
I am going to move the hide so its next to where it touches the bottom.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
DeuceRon
I have two temp probes over the UTH on the glass then cover that with some reptile carpet. I don't want either snake to get right onto the glass, just in case. Finally, I threw some aspen over that. If the temp at the probes is 88F, I know he's not gonna be 88F.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google