CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

90 gal tank with a partition, interspecies stress?

Old 07-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Arachne
90 gal tank with a partition, interspecies stress?

So, I have an empty 90 gallon tank. It used to belong to my dear departed beardie, and now it sits empty. I was thinking about installing a plexiglass partition, dividing it up for my corn and my ball python. They're currently in matching 30 longs. This would be an upgrade, for them, and more space-efficient for me, not to mention, just way nicer looking. Think a ball and a corn living within seeing/sensing distance would stress each other out?

Two different thermostats/heating systems, by the way. I already maintain two separate vivs, the only thing they'd be sharing is that plexiglass apartment wall, so to speak.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
ScottyK
You can get plexiglass in solid black which will take visual stress out of the equation. Having said that, it's no different than having two glass tanks next to each other. I've never noticed snakes reacting to each other through glass myself.

The other thing you want to do is seach the divided viv threads already here. It's very important that you construct it to leave no chance of anything being able to get by the divider. Pay special attention to the lid and how it fits along the divider strip.

You will also see a slew of warnings not to divide a tank at all...

Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Nanci
Can't tell you how many times I've read about a failed divider. Usually it just ends in an unplanned gravidity, but sometimes worse.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Arachne
Thanks for the info! I've seen it done successfully with other herps, so I thought of it for my snakes, but since I began contemplating it, I've also been thinking over the lid situation. I figure, before I spend any more time trying to work it out, or come up with some custom lid setup, I'd check to make sure the two different species can kinda be neighbors. We're a pretty handy household, so I was thinking of designing either a double wall partition, treating it as two truly separate enclosures, with two separate lids, or some kind of secure split lid design. I'll continue to read the divided viv threads.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
AliCat37
Yep, definitely watch how you divide it! I divided my old king's 55 with my corn and woke up having a bad feeling one night. Good thing I did too! My corn was sitting in the king's water dish! Could have been a really bad outcome.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google